We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Where is a good less developed area to use as a base on the Costa Del Sol, say between Malaga and Marbella? Maybe a view of the ocean without highrises. Will have a car, but want to be able to walk to local restaurants. Nightlife is not a priority. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Depends by what you mean by less developed and what sort of budget do you have? Most places along the coast are developed with holiday homes, hotels etc. There are some nice little seaside places like La Cala, Puerto Cabopino which aren't overly developed and have great beaches and some lovely restaurants too. La Carihuela is between Torremolinos and Benalmadena and although joined by a long paseo has a lovely Spanish feel. Also Torremolinos is also a more Spanish resort than people assume - years ago it was a very British oriented resort but things have changed alot over the years and its where lots of Malaguenos go at the weekend.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Have you looked at the Costa de la Luz, just around the corner on the Atlantic Coast. It may provide you with what you are looking for. We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera which is under a two and a half hour drive from Málaga Airport. The hotel/apartment developments all along this coast are low rise, much more typically Spanish in terms of restaurants and cafés. Many Spanish people holiday here in August. The ancient city of Cádiz is easily accessible as is Jerez de la Frontera home of the major sherry bodegas and the Real Escuela (Royal Spanish Riding School). Sevilla is also a doable day trip although with only a day trip you would be able to see only a few choice sites in this magnificent city.

Saludos. Lindsay

Vancouver
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Thank you for the information. We will be renting a townhouse or apartment in the mid-range for a couple of weeks, and as you guessed we will be looking for more of a Spanish experience than British tourist.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Anything you think of don't hesitate to ask, I will help if I can. I also spend four weeks a year based in Olvera which is one of the pueblos blancos, take a look at www.olvera.com a website written by an American friend. Here there is a very small multi-national ex-pat population who have chosen a Spanish way of life.

Another website which I quite like is www.andalucia.com if you put a town name in the search box it will give you quite a bit of detail on the area.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 14 May 2013, 08:57
Vancouver
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

I think that we will stick with the Costa Del Sol rather than go to the Costa De La Luz, since we want to see the Alhambra and other sites near that coast.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

Wherever you choose enjoy your holiday. I have 49 sleeps until I get to spend the whole of July in Cádiz and it just can't come quick enough.

Saludos. Lindsay

7. Re: Less developed area to stay on Costa Del Sol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 07:18