We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travelers to this area

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time travelers to this area

Four of us are staying at Las Mimosas La Calla for a week in January 2014. We are hoping to be able to take day-trips to Morocco, Granada,and Malaga; and have been considering a week-long rental car, especially for driving to the last two cities. Any knowledge or experiences you could give us about these day-trips and our area on the coast (grocery stores, shopping, tapa bars etc) would be appreciated. Thanks

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travelers to this area

Hi LS

Alinbenalmadena and I have already posted a response on the following thread, in case you missed it:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g315915-i5230-k5…

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travelers to this area

LSU:

I recommend doing a day trip to Ronda. Ronda is our most famous white town and it is unforgettable. Read the top questions in the Ronda forum for what to see.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time travelers to this area

I'm not sure who sold you on that location. You can expect lots of concrete high rise buildings and lots of English being spoken. I guess there are some good golf courses. Take a daytrip to Ronda and Malaga and Granada to see Spain.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time travelers to this area

No high rises in La Cala, Cuthbert. Fuengirola is a nice place, maybe not as beautiful as some places but its still a good base for a holiday.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time travelers to this area

Cuthbert, we decided on this area because my mother spent 2 months there about 20 years ago. We had heard so many wonderful things from her through the years that we decided to come see for ourselves. Found a time-share we could exchange/rent so we will be on our way soon.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 02:59
Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time travelers to this area

CeeJay, I did miss that post but will certainly read it.

Stanley, I am going to look into your suggestion right now. Thanks.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time travelers to this area

Hi again, this link might help you get to know La Cala

mijasguide.com/mijas-costa/la-cala-de-mijas

By the way, I think you meant Benny, not Stanley in your last post?

Just in case you aren't aware, the weather in Spain in January is very changeable and can be quite wet, although when we last went in January we had 5 days of sunshine and a couple of days of bad weather. So, make sure you take a raincoat and a couple of jumpers in case the weather turns when you are there.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time travelers to this area

<< lots of English being spoken >>

This is questionable to say the least. I have family in La Cala and we go there every now and then and hold family meetings there (we are all Spanish). Of course there are English speaking tourists, but there are far more English speaking tourists in say Seville.

<< You can expect lots of concrete high rise buildings >>

This is not correct. There isn't any high rise building (AT ALL) in La Cala.

Cuthbert I appreciate your opinions a lot, and I really agree with you 98% of the time, but you have a very biased (negative) image of Costa del Sol as a whole and this sometimes leads to bad advice. There are of course ugly built up areas, but you might like to know that our favorite beach anywhere is a deserted one located near La Cala where my kids can take crabs with their hands and the water is clean and transparent.

You can't dismiss a whole large area because of some ugly spots.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 12:18
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time travelers to this area

Totally agree MacPollo. We love La Cala too and although there are a few tourists around, as anywhere, it is a working Spanish seaside village and on market days it is full of everyone from the surround areas shopping and having fun including the Spanish looking for bargains.

Along the Costa Del Sol there are places to suit all tastes from touristy areas to the beautiful mountain villages. It never ceases to amaze and surprise me at how beautiful it all is, love it!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time travelers to this area

MacPollo and Ceejay are correct, no high-rise buildings in La Cala (or even semi-high-rise).

You'll have a great time there!