We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas along the coast with charm and character?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Areas along the coast with charm and character?

I hate asking this because the topic most come up repeatedly but I just don't know where to start. We booked airline tickets to Malaga and now I'm trying to figure out where to rent a villa for my family of ten. The young adults don't want to be too isolated and we want to tour historic sites. I thought maybe Almunecar might be right for us. Is there any place else that is not too over built and still retains some old world charm?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Deb

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,592 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

Deb:

Nerja is one of my favorite places in the Costa del Sol. Full of charm.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

How does Nerja differ from Almunecar? Reading a comparison often helps get a feel for both locations.

Any areas west of Malaga that we should consider?

If we stay in Nerja or Almunecar, will the drive to Ronda or Gibraltar be too long to be practical?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

Hi Deb

You could try the other direction. We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera, south of Cádiz city but have flown in and out of Málaga. It is a two and a half hour drive to Chiclana. Chiclana itself is a sprawling sort of traditional Spanish town so perhaps not ideal for the younger adults although there is a beautiful 8 km clean sandy beach at La Barrosa. To either side of La Barrosa there are holiday villas and apartments at Sancti Petri and Novo Sancti Petri and a good assortment of restaurants and cafés where Spanish café culture can be enjoyed. The town itself has a beautiful fresh food market and cafés aplenty.

The Costa del Sol is well serviced by the autovia as is the areas around the Atlantic Coast (Costa de la Luz). Places of interest easily accessible from Chiclana include Cádiz itself, Jerez de la Frontera the home of the Real Escuela (the Royal Spanish Riding School) www.realescuela.es and several sherry bodegas including Tío Pepe www.tiopepe.es Sevilla, Ronda and other pueblos blancos such as Medina Sidonia and Arcos de la Frontera. The surfing beaches of Tarifa are nearby as is Gibraltar if you really must (not a Gib fan).

We have in the past holidayed in both Nerja and Almuñecar. Nerja to me is just too touristy although not in the full blown Costa del Sol way and Almuñecar although nice is a small working town which happens to be at the coast although the beach is rather pebbly. I did enjoy both holidays at the time but personally have found somewhere that me, my husband and family of three young adults prefer.

Take a look at www.andalucia.com this website has a lot of information on the many towns and villages of the region. I am also lucky enough to spend four weeks each year in Olvera which is undoubtedly the king of the pueblos blancos. www.visitolvera.com was written by an American friend. Olvera would make a lovely day trip (by car) being roughly two hours drive from Chiclana and an hour and a half from Málaga.

If I can be of any further help don't hesitate to ask.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 29 August 2013, 15:17
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

Thank you, Lindsay, for the detail reply. I will take a look a the links you have shared. I should have said that we are staying two weeks and considering splitting the trip between two locations if it makes sense to do so. Maybe that is the way to go? Or is there enough to do in one location that we don't need to move? We've done whirlwind trips before where we've tried to see and do everything. It gets crazier with a big group.

I had originally thought to stay at a farmhouse type villa for a week and then move to the coast. I have fallen in love with at least a dozen of these! Unfortunately, my family will not forgive me easily if we end up in an isolated farmhouse with no air conditioning and brutal heat. <sigh> Maybe that is another trip at a different time of year.

Deb

Edited: 29 August 2013, 16:27
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

Hi Deb

Bigger houses are not so common, I don't know about you but I don't go on holiday for any of us to sleep in a put you up camp bed type arrangement or bed settee. My friend found this property which I thought very interesting, walking distance to the beach and definitely worth a looksee:

mobile.ownersdirect.co.uk/property.aspx…

She holidays with her partner, two daughters and sons-in-law, last year there were two little grandsons also but they have been joined by a pair of beautiful twins (one of each) so she is now looking for larger accommodation. This website has two or three larger properties which all look nice spain-holiday.com/Chiclana-de-la-Frontera/ho…

This last property I came across and emailed to my friend, although a car would be required to reach the beach it is not far out of town, definitely not isolated: tripadvisor.co.uk/…map

Happy hunting.

Lindsay

6. Re: Areas along the coast with charm and character?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:21