We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Family group ranging from 68 to 6months, looking to spend a week in early September.

We'll be looking for a villa, at least walking distance to the beach, with private pool.

Question: where do you recommend?

Have heard that the eastern side (Marabella area) can be extremely crowded and I think we'll be going the last week before school starts up in Spain.

Would like to avoid the extensive crowds and so have had Cadiz to Tarifa recommended (wide area).

Suggestions?

(Actually is Cadiz even considered part of the Costa del Sol?)

nancyM

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Cadiz Province has a long coastline facing the Atlantic ocean This coast is generally referred to now as Costa de la Luz. As soon as you move from Costa del Sol westwards around the southern tip of Spain past Algeciras you are into Costa de la Luz. Spanish people flock to these coasts during July and August and as you say through the first week of September. The 2nd week is fantastic for fewer crowds yet superb beach facilities like beach bars and showers plus the water sea temp is good. But that is not going to help yourself

There are quite a few potential places to look at along this coast apart from Cadiz city itself. So you first need to decide if the extra travel involved to this area is going to work out for you and what type of scenery do you want. Many people like to be based near Conil de la Frontera which is a nice town in summer and has huge beach. It is also quite detached from other built up places. Others like La Barrosa beach area otherwise known as Chiclana beach and this is very popular with Spanish especially at weekends in summer. There are many houses not too far from the coast here right along to Novo Sancti Petri zone where you find some hotels and golf courses.

Look here

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187433-…

Or a residential zone called Roche.

Barry
Level Contributor
3 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Definitively Costa de la Luz. Cheaper, less touristy and not over-crowded. If you stay in Chiclana/La Barrosa you are very near to the railway station in San Fernando, and from there it is easy and cheap to catch trains to Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera and Sevilla for day trips when you've had enough of the beach. Dependent from which airport you start off, the nearest place to fly to is Jerez, but neither Seville nor Gibraltar are far away and there are good low price offers.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Campsieclyde spends a lot of time up that end of the coast and loves it. I'm sure she'll be along later with lots of helpful advice and places to stay. Her favourite place is Olvera, if you do a search on the forums you will see her posts.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Hi CJB, I've caught up with you all. Yes, a definite on Chiclana de la Frontera, the beach area at La Barrosa is wonderfully clean with 8 kms of sand to wander along. Lots of nice little bars and restaurants to choose from. Easy access to Cádiz city, which is small enough to enjoy on foot, hotels, villas and apartments are all low rise so no massive construction. If you have a car, there are so many places to choose to visit, Medina Sidonia is only about 25 minutes away and is one of the recognised pueblos blancos (white hill towns).

As far as accommodation is concerned I have a couple of suggestions for you. www.ownersdirect.co.uk is the first, we have hired a number of accommodations through this website and have never been let down. If you want to be walking distance to the beach I would suggest either Sancti Petri or Novo Sancti Petri. Again if you have a car, you can go a little further from the beach. The other site I suggest you look at is http://www.holiday-chiclana.com who we are hiring from this year. I found Martin to be very helpful. This is the apartment that we will call home for 17 days at the beginning of July. holiday-chiclana.com/Holiday-Rental/property… thereafter poor old hubby goes home to work and my son and I head back to Olvera until the end of the month (I am at the sleep counting stage already).

In case anyone was wondering where I was over the weekend, on Thursday I decided to fly into Málaga on Friday and drive up to Olvera for a friend's 70th birthday. Had a wonderful time, nearly missed my flight home on Monday.

Saludos. Lindsay

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

Oh my, this is such a wonderful conversation. CampsiClyde, do you ever go in the winter?

I am about to retire (am a teacher in the U.S.) and my daughter lives in Madrid. We are going to the Costa de la Luz this September to celebrate her 35th birthday and I am looking for a spot for January/February.

What do you think?

The websites are really terrific. Thank you.

I guess I should get busy learning Spanish.

nancyM

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

I am not usually there in winter, last weekend in Olvera was an exception. However, my husband wants to retire to Chiclana in 11 years time or before if he can somehow wangle it. I on the other hand want to live in Olvera which is in the north east of Cádiz Province where it meets Málaga and Sevilla Provinces. I know who will be doing the compromising but I guess Chiclana isn't that much of a compromise.

I have another friend on here and on Facebook who rented a lovely villa not too far from the beach with her two daughters, their husbands and children I will ask her for the details. I know they are in a conversation somewhere on Facebook but I am going out to work shortly and will take a look for you when I come in.

There are so many things I want to see including Carnival in February, Semana Santa (Holy Week) in April and Feria during August. I guess they will have to wait until we retire. I have the Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain) program on my PC, it is really quite good. I also have a big dictionary and separate verb book.

I promise Cádiz will not disappoint.

Lindsay

7. Re: Cadiz or Marabella? east or west?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:29