We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biometric passport control

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Biometric passport control

Just read on the Malaga Airport facebook page that they have introduced biometric passport control! Should be fun! I found it takes just as long at Gatwick as going through the normal check in. Nobody knows how to use it, they have to have someone there to monitor it and what happens if you've got one of the old style passports? Also, last time I went through Malaga airport, in and out the checks were very limited and the border control only glanced at most of the passports and if you just held it up in front of them they waved you through.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biometric passport control

CJB, I tend to look at the queues at Gatwick before making up my mind which one to join. They have altered the biometric part a bit and it was much quicker than the ordinary queues when I came back at the beginning of this month. But you're right about people not knowing how to use it ;-)

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biometric passport control

My main house is in France and coming back to my nearest airport, there is often no passport control or anything else.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biometric passport control

Certainly no changes at malaga passport control last wednesday, they did take off us, but just looked at the photo and handed back.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biometric passport control

kaneda,

Indeed there isn't any passport control when going to France, since France and Spain are both in the Schengen free circulation zone. The UK isn't, that is why there are passport controls in place.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biometric passport control

Could do with some passport control in the u.k. A u.k. guest in our hotel had come through Gatwick to our hotel Torremolinos. Our hotel gave the authorities his passport details for the Spanish police to realise there was an arrest warrent out for him in the u.k. and came out that night to arrest him.

he is now fighting extradition back to the u.k. at our expense, all this could have been avoided if our u.k. customs did their job.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biometric passport control

That's the problem Ian, the only time my passport was looked at when I flew out in June to Tenerife was at the bag drop desk in Gatwick North, it wasn't looked at again till the cursory look by the Spanish border control and we were waived through. Its no wonder the guy got through to Spain!

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biometric passport control

At leeds your passport is placed through a reader both going out and in and if your al on the same booking you have to go through together.

This system in place for two years now

Granada, Spain
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Biometric passport control

I was wondering if anyone knows how this biometric passport control works in Malaga airport.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
900 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biometric passport control

If they're anything like the ones at Manchester, not at all, despite notices directing you to use them as it is quicker, they were all closed in March!

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biometric passport control

Well I used it tonight! There was a long queue at passport control and I saw a spanish man go over to one of the booths so I went to the one next to him. The first bit was easy - just shove your passport in and look at the screen. You then wait for it to beep. That means "ok"!! But .... his glass doors opened and mine didn't so I strolled through behind him. Suddenly a spanish man came shouting at me (I presume with his gestures he was telling me I cant do that)! He then told me to put my finger on a small screen ((fingerprint recognition?) but not sure how that would work as I've never given a fingerprint. Anyhow, he let me through, so I'll know for next time ;-)