We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to the Casbah

Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to the Casbah

Hi

We have heard that there are day trips available to Tangiers, and it is quite an experience. Does anyone know how much it costs? Are they readily available from the torrie area? I haven't seen any references to this.

Thanks.

Malaga
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to the Casbah

Done it several times - Tarifa to Tangiers 35 mins on the catamaran.

There are day trips from the tourist resorts. Not sure of the price but the catamaran was 52 Euros return about three weeks ago.

Get a guide in Tangier - many available off the boat - negotiate a price - many include lunch.

Its a great place and the souk is fabulous - do barter to get the prices down!!

Oh one other thing - Tamgier is i hour behind Spain in Winter and 2 hours behind in summer. Remember that when turning up for th return ferry!

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to the Casbah

Organised tours available from every travel agent in Torrie. Cost for a day trip around Euro 65 including guide + often lunch - essential to go with guide to avoid continous hassle from sellers that spoils the trip for many people. Luxtours seem to have a good name for this trip.

A long/tiring day that will only give you the merest taste of Morocco but worth doing if you have time in your schedule. If on a tight schedule I personally think there are better things to do without travelling out of Andalucia.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to the Casbah

By the way, most organised tours sail from Algeciras not Tarifa.

Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to the Casbah

Thanks. Looks like we can keep it as an option if we get tired of driving ourselves. Since we will be there first week of March, we won't be having 'beach time' so I'm planning lots of sightseeing.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to the Casbah

What is the currency in Tangiers? Is it the euro? Of not, is the euro accepted as a form of payment. Thanks for any reponses.

Malaga
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to the Casbah

The Euro is accepted everywhere in Tangiers, but as I said before - do not forget to barter!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to the Casbah

I just returned from an amazing tour of Spain. I did the one day trip to Tangiers. I booked through my hotel in Torrie with CostaAfrica Tours. I was picked up at 5:30am, and following several other hotel stops enroute, we arrived to the Cat at 8:30am.

My concern is that the tour group was rather large...40 persons, so it was a little difficult not to be hassled. Some of the locals who were assisting the Tour guides were also assisting the sellers. I'm not sure if the custom is for them to help each other out, but there were numerous occassions when I was surrounded and hassled by the sellers. It was quite an uncomfortable experience. My suggestion would be to go with a smaller group so that everyone can remain together.

I'm glad that I went however. It was quite a unique experience....a change of pace from the Spain travel.

Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to the Casbah

Hi

Thanks for the input. Did you stay in Torrie? What else did you feel was a highlight for you?

Did you go to Seville? We are thinking of skipping it this trip because we don't know if it is worthwhile to just go for a day. We are planning on Gibraltar, Granada, Cordoba, Malagra, white villages, and Tangiers.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to the Casbah

I was on an organized group tour with Globus tours. We visited all of the places you mentioned with the exception of Malaga. Actually, the day the group visited Gibraltar was the day I took off on my own to got to Tangiers. I booked the Morocco trip on my own. Everyone in the group said that I was crazy to go to Morocco. It was a conservative crowd, and I believe they were intimidated of visiting a third world country.

Torremolinos was absolutely beautifu. We had an ocean view room at the Costa Melia Del Sol (I believe that was the name).

I agree that visiting Seville for just one day is not worth it. This was one of the more popular stops on the tour route.

I was urprised at how modern Spain is...and the driving appeared relatively easy. Unlike Italy. Next time, I will avoid the organized tours and travel on my own.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to the Casbah

Just a quick response to one of your comments aquablue concerning the locals assisting the tour operators and the vendors in Tangier. This should come as little surprise as the sole purpose for operating these day trips to Tangier is to try and get the visitors to spend as much money possible on dubious quality and overpriced Moroccan souvenirs, and kickbacks are distributed up and down this feeding chain.