We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estepona

Dublin
6 posts
Save Topic
Estepona

Thinking of going to Estepona this April. Wondering if anyone has any comments. I hate tacky noisy, places full of larger louts. Might have a sterio typical image of Spain but looking for class and was told that this place is nice.

Your comments would be appreciated.

thanks

marg1

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estepona

Estepona is a nice place and not full of Brit bars etc. You will find that the whole of the CDS is not like it is often shown on the TV. Of course there are areas that are best avoided at night if you don't like stag and hen parties (Puerto Banus for instance). However, as far as I know there is nowhere in Estepona that's like that.

If you give a few more details of the sort of thing you would like to do, budget, no. in your party and self catering or hotel people will be able to advise you better.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estepona

marq1:

I have just read that they have prettied up their downtown.

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
44 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estepona

As you have not visited Estepona before I thought I would give you an insight in to the local area. Originally given the title of Estebbuna by the Romans, Estepona is littered with historic monuments from old Phoenician and Roman burial grounds to splendid castles. The original town was destroyed by the conquering Christians in the 15th century and rebuilt by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand a century later. In 1729 Philip V granted this fishing town a charter for 600 families and the town has continued its growth to this day - even now, dozens of small fishing boats leave the calm waters in the early hours, coming back laden with their catches later in the day, supplying the local restaurants with the freshest of ingredients.

The old monuments are still very much in evidence from the scattering of watchtowers warding off the Moorish invaders to the Arab-built clock tower and the 16th century castle ruins, which are worth a visit. The best is the old Franciscan monastery which is now the Church of our Lady of Redemption. If you ask nicely you may still be allowed to walk to the top of the tower and enjoy the vista of the whole town and mountains inland. Either way, thankfully much of Estepona’s old remnants remain intact, as a stroll through the old town confirms.

While many other towns along the Costa del Sol have adopted northern European working hours, Estepona has chosen to stick with tradition and wandering the narrow streets of Estepona’s old town during siesta time provides the greatest clue to its enduring Spanishness with the only signs of life in the deserted back alleys of the old town are the occasional cat and the odd hushed conversation coming from behind shuttered windows. So to make the most of your visit you may want to take an organised tour, details of which can be obtained from the Tourist Information Office opposite the entrance to the Marina.

Unlike, say, Fuengirola and its fish alley, there are only a handful of English bars in the old town and along the paseo. Local Spanish bars take precedence and there are plenty of good tapas to be had at very cheap prices even though it is a well established tourist destination.

In the night time Estepona Marina has pleasantly managed to avoid the type of "night club" culture which has spoilt some areas on the Costa del Sol however it does have a wide variety of friendly restaurants and bars to choose from.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estepona

Very good insight Andy, you should write a guidebook. Marbella Old Town closes at siesta time too, its so quiet and everytime we go we somehow get caught out but it gives a chance to wander the back streets and see the quieter side of a busy town. We did the same in Estepona when we went a couple of years ago.

We're back to Estepona at Villacana in September and looking forward to discovering more of the town. The lack of British bars is one of the things that attracts us there, because we then have a week down at Sitio De Calahonda where there are lots of them (but with hidden gems of Spanish and other continental cuisine which we frequent instead!)

Dublin
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Estepona

Thank you very much.

Regards

M

Dublin
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Estepona

Thank you so much Andy for all that information.

Regards

Dub M

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estepona

I'm not sure classy is a word i would use to describe Estepona. Traditionally Spanish, authentic, friendly, relaxed, yes. However, as well as being a tourist destination it is also a working Spanish town and as such lacks the polish of some other holiday destinations. We love it and will continue to holiday there. The only way to find out if its for you is to visit for yourself. Do you have any more specific questions? X

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Estepona

I agree... especially the area around the bus station - i was waiting to be picked up from there once last year and even though i can handle myself in most given situations i did feel very uneasy for sure..... very unsavoury "dealings" going on !!

Andy, just a heads up that your post may get removed under the "copyrighted material) reason as it breaches the posting guidelines with regards to posting material published elsewhere (Olive Press)

CB

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estepona

Well spotted CB ;)

Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Estepona

Hi

We are thinking of renting a penthouse in The Hacienda Del Sol Estapona, could anyone give any info on these apartments. Is the area nice etc.

Thanks