We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I came to Estepona.

England
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
I came to Estepona.

My trip reports are normaly "We came to......."

But OH didn't come on this one. We've had five short breaks this year and she's all tripped out. Plus august is too hot for her. I had to fit the trip between Villa's first home match and a gig the little 60s covers band I'm in had this afternoon. So it was only six days.

I can do holidays without her. Allthough I miss her I keep myself occupied and the time soon passes.

Here's what I got up to. It might help other travelers with ideas.

Day 1 Sunday

I flew out of my home airport in the midlands. The fight was straight forward. I was off the plane quickly and as I hadn’t taken hold luggage (why pay £50), I was soon picked up by the hire care shuttle and on my way from the depot by 1300. They’ve changed the system at Niza. You have to pay by credit card, not sterling cash (I book thru Malagahirecar.com, a uk based company who get you discounted rates) The fuel policy is full/full which is good. I was pleased to see the San Ped tunnel completed. By two thirty having stopped at the Cancelada Mercadona for a few things, I was at Villacana. We used to own a house there but sold up a few years back. Never regretted buying or selling. I was staying with a friend , Big John.... BJ, who lives there permanently. Villacana is a special place IMHO. Within half an hour I was in the communal pool.

I’d been up early so didn’t want to eat late, so BJ and I drove the couple of miles into Estepona. We ate at Simonito in Calle Lorenzo on the western end near the end of Calle Real. It attracts locals and does nice fish and other dishes. Reasonable prices. Bar was full of locals watching football and later Malaga v. Barca. I managed to engage one in conversation and couldn’t resist reminding him Aston Villa , (mi equipo) beat them 3-2 in a pre season friendly. After the meal we drove round to the port and had coffee/brandy at the place by the Nautical Club. I still can’t believe the size of the brandies they pour. I was driving so BJ had most of mine.

Pretty long day so back home to bed.

Day 2 Monday. Went in to San Ped. Like this place a lot. Sat in the church plaza and watched the old timers there. Then realised I was one meself. I need to buy some smart tailored trousers and a nice shirt. Then I’d fit in fine. BJ has severe mobility problems so didn’t come. Pleased to see they’ve regulated the street parking. Blue bays two hrs max. Green five. It’s very cheap

Bought BJ a sabutemol inhaler at the farmacia to help his breathing. Then walked down the pedestrian street for a coffee. Invited a brit who was looking for a seat to join me. Turned out he’d been coming to Villacana for 18 years, but we’d never met!.

Then drove down to the promenade and read me book for a while.

Back to VC for a cuppa and swim. The wasteland above the tunnel is being developed. The plans look great. Due to be finished next year. (Don’t hold your breath)

At this point of typing OH called me down to watch “102 minutes that changed America”.... an incredibly moving programme about the twin towers disaster.

We ate at the flat and then drove into Sabinnilas for the quiz at Fathoms Bar. This is a fun event I’ve been to many times. We must have left our brains at home cus we did hopelessly. There was a nice night market on the Paseo.

Day 3 Tuesday. Spent the day wandering round Estepona. I like Estepona. I have friend, Dave, who lives at La Cala, so for the evening we drove there, had a meal and went to the quiz at Blarneys Bar. BJ and I formed a team of our own and Dave joined his mates. We came second. I’d never been to La Cala before, and I thought it was a very nice place.

Day 4 Wednesday. Drove into Marbella. Found somewhere to park and had a mooch. On the beach just by the tourist office a man has built some impressive sand sculptures. The Alameda Gardens and old town are lovely as ever. After some coffee and churros I drove up to Benahavis. If you want a short drive thru impressive scenery this is ideal. They’ve built some pull ins in the gorge, so you can go down to the river. The normal road into the village is closed (why) and you have to go in another way. It passes some lovely gardens called Torre de Leonora. The Spanish certainly know how to lay out a garden. Benahavis has changed out of all recognition since I first went in the early 80s. It’s been done very well. On the night we went to The Robin Hood at Benamara. I remember this pub being built. It’s had a major face lift and is quite classy. We had a good meal while a sax/guitar combo played mellow jazz. After that we drove into Estepona as I wanted to see the owner of La Peseta bar on the Paseo. He used to work at Villacana. It was his night off.

Day 5 Thursday.

I drove to the Roman Villa by the Rio Verde. It’s open 11-1 on Thursdays. The mosaics are impressive and it moved me to be close to man’s 2000 year old workmanship. Then I walked down to the beach. Like so many rivers in Spain it ends with a sand bar. They’ve built a nice wooden suspension bridge over the river. Chatted with the owner of the Chininguito. As a kid he played in the recently discovered villa, till it was fenced off and protected. Then I drove to Museo Rali at Coral Beach. This is a terrific gallery open most days. Next year they will have a Beryl Cooke exhibition. In my Aston Villa baseball cap and my Lidl canvas bag, I classed myself as an art installation. I drove past Toni Dali’s which seems shut up and on to Victors Beach Bar. I’ve always liked this place. Great location.

We ate at The 90 mile rest. on Villacana. Nice meal. We drove to Benavista and went to the quiz at The Terrace. We won this. It was like a morgue in there. Returned to the 90 mile for late drinks and listen to the live music.

Day 6 Friday.

My last day. Although my flight wasn’t till 2230, I said goodby to BJ at 1000. He needs a bit of support and I look forward to seeing him again. He has a heart of gold. I drove to La Cala and spent 3 hours with Dave. We had a nice lunch at an old people’s social club on the front. Open to the general public as well. Good atmosphere in La Cala. Dave told me about The Hippodrome so I went up there. Wierd place. Dropped down to Miramar part of Fuuengirola. Drove right to the eastern end by Los Boliches and sat in a nice sea front bar reading a book. Moved on to the Torre Muele area of Benalmedena. Found a flight of steps down to the shore and a terrific bar/rest built into the cliff face. Then had a drive round the Puerto at Benalmadena. It was extremely hot 35+ degrees and I was feeling the effects so I went straight to the car depot, dropped off the car and was taken to the cool of the airport. I was two hours earlier than necessary but was just about bushed.

The flight left on time and I eventual got home to be about 1 am uk time.

So that's about the height of it. It was nice to stay with BJ and see Dave. Undecided if i'll do it again, I have a happy memories of the CDS and I expect i'll be lured back

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,293 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I came to Estepona.

You fitted plenty in, Enjoyed the read.

2. Re: I came to Estepona.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:19