We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
557 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Please can anyone suggest Days Trips out to see interesting White Villages from Estepona. I know of Granada,Cordoba, Gaucin ,Casares,Behavis,Istan,Monda so far.

Any assistance will be grateful in this respect, as I have a Canadian Friend from Vancouver visiting me next week.

Thank You

Nigel

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

The white villages www.andalucia.com/villages/home.htm

www.viamichelin.com

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

nigel:

Ronda

Ubrique

Olvera

Setenil de las Bodegas

Iznajar - A jewel that few people have seen.

Priego de Cordoba - Beautiful fountains.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Hi Nigel

Benny's suggestions are excellent, I have visited Ronda, Ubrique and Setenil from our base in Olvera. To this I would add Zahara de la Sierra and Grazalema. Not far from Setenil you will also find the remains of a Roman amphitheatre at Acinipo.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 21 March 2014, 09:22
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

If heading Ronda way you should take in the "Blue" village of Juzcar too. Painted Blue from white to promote the Smurf movies and the residents voted to keep it. The road from Ronda to Juzcar takes you through 5 other hamlets and makes an interesting drive.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

But only if you sing the song on the way.

All together now.....

'Where are we all coming from...?'

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Yes, I liked Júzcar too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oofM5ttD6c

or perhaps with a little more class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynUdbH-4R8

Lindsay

Edited: 21 March 2014, 10:12
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

You have a good list here and good recs. I'd just add that the drives between villages can also be very rewarding and rather than just visit the more 'on the tour map' white villages stop of at small towns too,

I have a rule when touring of never passing a small town or village without driving in, it's 5mins of my time and I often find a gem I never expected. Some feel like ghost towns but have their own appeal, you'll always find a small bodega or bar in a side street, these are the places to find more untouched Spain and the welcome is usually very warm. So basically yep hit the really prety white villages but look outside the box too.

I'm not on holiday really but earlier this week took a 1/2 day and drove out from Estepona to Casares and took a loop taking in Gaucin, San pedro, Jimena d l Frontera and followed the country road down to pick up the main drag back near San Enrique. A nice drive, some basic towns are nice in their own right, I had one of the best lunches ever in a side street in San Pablo, a glass of cruz , three large plates and all for EUR8. Just me, and a few locals looking at washing lines and dogs chasing cats, sometimes that's really nice and so very relaxing. I could have stayed there all day and had great company for an hour or so, real hospitality without pretention.

Stoofer

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
557 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your comments and advice and they have all been noted. I appreciate this help as it makes our decisions that much easier.

Nigel

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

If it helps this 'loop' I mentioned took about me about 6 hours and I was dwelling at several stop off points at a whim for 10 - 15mins before moving on , also took well over a hour for lunch, so I reckon I was actually behind the wheel for 2.5 - 3 hrs.

You can make similar loops further west and north always returning back, good half day or full day options depending on how comfortable you are behind the wheel on some very winding roads.

Stoofer

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting Day Trips out to White Villages from Estepona

Hey nigel.... some good recommendations here, but being from the area I suspect you have a pretty good idea of what's what anyway :) Just drive about and see whatever takes your fancy, it's always an adventure and common sense really - the best part of discovering places is when you find them by accident :)

Do come back and let us know of any hidden gems you might find.... !!