We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Hoping someone can provide some advice regarding travel from Malaga to Morocco. We were looking to rent a car from a company called transauto.es (at the Malaga airport ... does anyone know of this company and is it reputable?). Then we would drive down to Algeciras/ Tangier's ferry, cross to Morocco and drive about Morocco ... taking the car to Tangier/Chefchaouen/Fez/ Marrakesh/Tizintichka and then back to Tangier and ultimately return to Malaga. All in all we'll be travelling from 4 - 17 September and thought renting a car would be the easiest. Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance and advice. Cheers!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,774 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Firstly, it will be impossible (in my experience) to find a car rental company at Malaga that will allow you to take a vehicle over to Morocco. You can cross over from either Algeciras or Tarifa to Tangier. (Ceuta from Algeciras as well is an option) Many travellers would use the train and bus services within Morocco because they are quite good value.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

As Cadizlover says - you have virtually no chance of renting a car in Spain that could go over to Morocco. If you risked it you would have no insurance cover in the event of an accident or breakdown and would be subject to a severe fine from the hire company.

Even to hire a car to cross from Spain to Portugal is difficult and subject to a high premium.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Get yourself down to Tarifa for the fast ferry to Tangier which is so fast that you actually travel back in time. Consider an overnight in Tarifa either out or back, because it's charming.

Hire your car in Morocco but if you're looking at visiting several tourist locations, think about using public transport or a taxi for the first leg, unless you're very familiar with North African driving and road etiquette. I've driven in 4 continents, mostly, for me, on the wrong side of the road and I have to say that Tangiers would have been a bit daunting at first - and I visited after I had driven in other parts of North Africa.

Trans-border rentals are often very costly or impossible.

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Brilliant. Many thanks everyone for your kind responses!

Regarding the car rental, this is what we found online: transauto.es/morocco/general_conditions.htm with a Malaga car rental company. Though we were unsure about the company and reputation given the circumstances, as you've all mentioned, in crossing borders. Thoughts?

Again, much appreciate your advice, cadizlover, casaianda and pandachris2. We'll look into public transportation to get to the ferry in addition to travel within Morocco.

Any other suggestions/ comments regarding travel/ transportation are more than welcome.

Cheers.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Looks like you've found a rental company that bucks the trend and proves us wrong. . Might be worth checking if any other TA users have rented by them, but the terms and conditions look fairly standard. If the rates are acceptable, perhaps a market has been recognised and is being exploited. When we tried a cross-border trip with an internationally recognised renter they wanted to add 500 euros to the bill - and that was in two EU countries!

I'd still recommend the Tarifa crossing though - it's really quick there are several every day and the town is well worth a few hours or an overnighter. There's a terrific mirador about 3 miles west of town where you can get a tremendous view of the Straits of Gibraltar as well.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

I'm not familiar with that particular rental company but it is possible now to "lease" (not rent) a car in Spain which carries different conditions and would thus allow you to enter Morocco with the vehicle. I've heard of someone who leased a Peugeot in Spain and took it to Morocco. I'd suggest that you take out a full coverage insurance policy on the car if you decide to take that route.

Another note, Ceuta is the best way to enter Morocco due to it's status as a duty free port: you can stock up on supplies (you'll be visiting during Ramadan so while on the road open restaurants during the day will be a challenge) and petrol for less than on the Spanish mainland, however, the highway from Chefchaouen to Fes (via Ouezzane) is in increasingly deteriorating condition, I would not suggest driving it. There is another route which goes via Sidi Kacem.

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

Thanks again for your kind assistance, pandachris2. And, much appreciate the added comments too, chano. Duly noted!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,774 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

The train from Tangier to Marrakech can be by overnight 'couchette'. (and the return) The compartment has 4 bunk beds and you can be sharing with anyone. I travelled from Marrrakech to Tangier last summer and shared with a Spanish female midwife returning to her hospital in the Costa del Sol, a young Morrocan lad who worked in the Fortuna tobacco factory in Tangier and who was visiting his mum, and a grumpy old woman who didn't speak. Managed to get plenty of sleep but it is a long night. You cannot reserve tickets until nearer the day of travel I believe, so had to go to Marrakech station to secure the ticket the day before. Moroccan Railways: www.oncf.ma. The train was full with no spare berths as it was a busy weekend. best to look on the Moroccan Forum for some more help?

The ferry across from Algeciras to Ceuta - as chano mentions - is a shorter sea journey across the straits. I believe that you can pick up a bus going to Tetouan from just across the border with Morocco but I don't know the details of this transfer. From Tetouan you can make your way to other places by bus like Chefchaouen.

9. Re: How to get from Malaga to Morocco/ and around Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 02:20