We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

I went to the Rail Europe site and found a AVE train leaving at 3:05 pm for Madrid. This would probably work fine for us but leads to other questions.

1. On the Rail Europe site they show a Total cost of $262 for two AVE "reservations included ."

I assume that "reservations included " means assigned seats?

2. My concern is that it also says "Total without shipping."

We will be off traveling shortly and if the only delivery means indicated is shipping. We would not have sufficient time to receive the tickets.

I don't want to proceed with buying said tickets if I can't get them before we leave on our trip. Can anyone tell me if and how I can purchase or reserve an E-ticket on the AVE Malaga to Madrid which I can print out on my computer?

3 Is there "luggage storage" [lockers or room] at the Malaga train station where we can leave our luggage while we tour around town ? We expect to arrive about 8:00 am.

Thanks for any help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Read to the right, Top Questions "How can I buy Renfe tickets online"

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Nurioopta:

WOW! You have provided an Impressive amount of information. 12 printed pages. . Unfortunately, we [my wife and I] are down to 21 days before the train trip and just a few days before we depart from the US.

At this stage I would just like to get the necessary tickets and not try to work through the apparently flakey Renfe site. There are too many complications on our trip already without adding another

Perhaps retreat is the smartest move at this point and we may just show up at the train station and see if we can buy a ticket there on the 14th. If not, we will take one of the buses.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Buy your train tickets in Spain. www.andalucia.com

Enjoy!

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

If you book online direct with the operator (Renfe, Spanish Railways) at ww.renfe.com, Madrid to Malaga 'Web' fares cost just 35 euros. Yes, 35 euros!! Booking opens 60 days ahead.

Rail Europe is a US agency that cannot sell Web fares or Estrella fares or Spain, just full-price tickets with fees and postage added on top.

So you'll pay $262 for a trip that could have cost you $89.

Only 21 days to go? Well, I just checked prices for Madrid-Malaga on 18 May (is that your date?) and guess what, 35 euro 'Web' fares are available on almost all departures.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Oh yes, and with renfe.com you print out your own ticket.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,092 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Post #5 might actually be Mark, even though his pic doesn't look like him; anyway have a look at the greatest rail website in the world here:

http://www.seat61.com/

....and once you've spent a couple of hours looking at that (I was due to go overland from London to Damascus next month, but....) you'll find most of what you need here:

http://www.renfe.es

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Thanks to all who have contributed to answering my questions.

Special thanks however to "Man_in_seat_6...." I owe you a Tapas and/or a Cerveza at least. The www.Renfe.com site did exactly what you said in posts 4 and 5. This was with a minimum of trouble and at a considerable savings over my previous unsuccessful attempts to purchase a train ticket.

Each AVE ticket cost me 52 euros compared to $130 [some 85 euros] .

As you stated, and most importantly to me, I could -- and I have-- printed out the actual tickets on my home printer and we now have our train, coach #, and seat assignments in hand.

A few very minor bumps along the way.

1. --the www.renfe.com screen comes up in Spanish; however, if your look around it carefully you will find the English word "welcome" and if you click on that subsequent screens are in English.

2. At some point it asks for the Tempo Card number for the seats. I have no clue what that is and just ignored it.

3. The site uses the word "estrella" which my tourist dictionary translates as star [in sky]. Not sure what it is meant in it's context.

4. The one item that caused a restart of the process was in payment after entering a VISA #.

It switched me out of Renfe to my bank's Visa verification site which wanted me to sign up for some seemingly open bank verification. Closing that screen prompted an "Error Message" from Renfe.com. and I had to start the ticket purchase over. The second time through I accepted the VISA verification and continued through the purchase completion without any further difficulties.

Be sure to remember comment # five RE you can print out your tickets.

It's at the very bottom of the page below a bunch of advertising stuff and I would have missed it if not for "Man_in_seat_6..." pointing it out.

Bill

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

3. There are 3 prices available on the internet.

a) A "Web" fare which is the cheapest and limited.

b) The "Estrella" or star fare which is a bit more expensive than the "web" fare, but there are more seats available.

c). Full fare when all the offers are taken.

4. Verify by Visa is a fairly new innovation and is another security level for using your card online. Once you have registered, you enter your password and your purchase is cleared.

Well done for negotiating the sometimes tricky Renfe site, enjoy your trip to Spain.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 00:15
London
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

I too, have no idea what the 'TEMPO CARD' is..I have printed out my tickets..Do I need to reserve my seats?

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking E-tickets for Train Malaga to Madrid

Sid - if you have printed out your tickets, the seats are allocated. (It is a couple of years since I have needed to purchase on line) but somewhere on your ticket is Coche and Plaza.