We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cape cod, mass
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

My husband and I will be in Andalusia this fall. We had initially planned to stay in Malaga a few days, then drive to Gaucin and then on to Ronda. I am not a fan of hairpin turns and steep drop-offs and am having some doubts after reading some of the 2006 forum entries on the condition of the road. One comment was that the Gaucin-Ronda road is "the most challenging in Spain." My question: how terrifying is it? If we had to take the road in the rain, is there fog - and is it a dangerous route for first time drivers? I also read an entry detailing an easier route circling around to Ronda from the north-east If we took that, we would miss Gaucin, which looks charming. Is there any town (unspoiled, not too touristy) along the easier route that would be a good for a night or two's stay? Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

You could drive up to Antequera and stay then on to Ronda.

cold north
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

We spent time in Gaucin. It is a lovely white town. Gorgeous views. The driving, to me, was horrendous! Twice we drove from Gaucin to Ronda and back. We drove Verrrry slllowly. From Gaucin to Ronda there are several Miradors where you can stop for photos. The turns are not only hairpin, but they accend and decend at the same time. The locals are fearless and they drive quite quickly. Going to Ronda, you are on the side with the view and therefore the Drop! Returning isn't as scary because you are on the other side of the road. I would not advise you to do it in the rain.

PS The next time we go to Andalucia (Malaga), we will not rent a car!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

That country up there is beautiful, well worth the drive, as you say take your time and try and have as much FUN as possible. For me all the time you can spend in those great and beautiful white towns is well worth it, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,682 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

I have not been to Gaucin yet and I think from the remarks here, I will skip it in the future. However Ronda is worth going to and the road going to it from Marbella is not bad. You just need patience because it is difficult to overtake a slow moving vehicle.

cape cod, mass
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

Thanks so much to you and the others for your quick replies. If we drove back to Marbella from Gaucin, would we then take a round about route starting on what my old map calls A355 and swing around from El Burgo to Ronda from there? How long a trip would that be? I would really like to go to Gaucin, and having an alternate that is reasonably ok would be a help. (I take it that the road from San Pedro is also difficult--and longer?) Have a great summer.

cape cod, mass
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

A few years back, we went to Arcos at Easter time (just in time to see the running of the bull.... that's right, one bull!) The town was beautiful, with great views. That's why we are returning to the area. Thanks for your comment. CAP

cape cod, mass
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

Oh dear.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

<However Ronda is worth going to and the road going to it from Marbella is not bad. You just need patience because it is difficult to overtake a slow moving vehicle>

Benny, if you mean the road from San Pedro up to Ronda then...only a madman would consider overtaking! It's a lovely scenic route, best seen from the inside of a large vehicle, such as a bus.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 13:20
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

I found the drive from Malaga to Ronda to be easy.

10. Re: malaga-gaucin-ronda by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 06:17