We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Gibraltar

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Gibraltar

Few points for those who want to make a day trip to Gibraltar:

1. DIY or package tour: No need for package or guided tour. You can easily buy return trip bus tickets (Malaga-La Linea-Malaga) from Malaga bus station. Total cost Euro11.80x2=23.60 for the round trip. Buses are on time, reasonably comfortable seating, you can see the Costa del sol and all the small towns along the coast.

2. Walking from La Linea bus station to Gibraltar: Once you come out of La Linea bus station, take a left turn, after few minutes you will reach the main road that is leading to Gibraltar, can’t miss it with the big rock in front of you.

3. Crossing into Gibraltar: follow the signs, show your passport, no check nothing, just follow the crowd.

4. From border to Gibraltar city center: You can take the red bus, day ticket (Hoppa ticket) will cost 2 Euro, one way ticket is 1.20 euro. So better buy day ticket. You can also walk to the town, should not take more than 30 min of leisurely walk. I saw the free blue bus at the border, not sure why everyone boarded the red bus, I also followed the crowd. 

5. Traveling within Gibraltar:The blue Gibraltar bus is free, from market place you can take the bus no 2 to Europa point, on the way back, ask the driver to drop you near the cable car station. You can take bus no 3 from cable car station back to market square. I was told, bus no 1 goes to Moor’s castle/gate, I did not try it.

6. Cable car trip: Round trip ticket cost 9 pounds. I did not take the nature reserve ticket, was extremely tired by then.

7. Monkeys: There were too many warnings about how dangerous the monkeys were, not to take plastic bags or even back packs to the rock. I found the monkeys quite well behaving. It was rather the tourists who behaved like monkeys, invading their privacies.

8. Food: many eating places in La Linea or at Gibraltar town center

9. Customs tip: don’t buy too many cigarettes, I saw customs agents confiscating it from tourists, not a bad thing as it is bad for your health anyway.

10. Toilet tips: Bus station toilets are horrible in Spain, so better use toilets in restaurants.

54 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

hi good report.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,449 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Zux:

I like Point No. 7.

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Weephart, Thanks.

Benny, It was quite surprising how wellbehaved the monkeys were :) .

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

You were lucky......those apes still owe my Ma a small handbag!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,083 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

The apes actually broke the aerial of the car in front of us when we were there last and snatched ice cream from a young child who was actually in a car with the window open!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Zux, GREAT report, so many people ask those same question. Hubie

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Oops, I think I missed the naughty moneys, after all.

I only saw them at the top of the rock, did not go down to the monkey's den or walked in nature reserve.

But at top of the rock,, one monkey was feeding her baby and so many people were disturbing them. Other monkeys just did nothing, sitting down and checking bugs on each others body. They only ran when tourist chased them or made some scary noise :)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Who were these people who were 'disturbing them' at the Top of the Rock?

There is massive conservation time and money spent on trying to keep the apes up there instead of down near Morrison's. Visitors in minibuses and taxis can see their 'den', and the conservationists argue it stops them over-populating (yeah right, get off my balcony).

Of course Singapore is another legacy of Empire, except has independence from its immediate land-mass.

Who are the apes? Who's looking at whom?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Thanks. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,083 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Gibraltar

Rambllin_Rose - not sure if you've looked at other posts regarding Gibraltar trips but I would advise that you do a search on the main Costa Del Sol forum for more info on the day trips, there are several of them including :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187439-i318-k56…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187439-i318-k55…

Reply to: Day trip to Gibraltar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted