We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

hi,

i travel to Malaga on 9th November, we arrive at 1.30pm, I want to get the next train to Seville which is 14.08pm- would i make this if no delays with my flight? the next train after this is an Avant at 14.30pm which is double the price which i dont want to have to pay.

How far away is the train station from Malaga airport, should I get a taxi? and potentially could i make this 14.08pm train?

thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

I doubt if you would have enough time to make it unless your flight arrives early.

Spending money on a taxi does not make much sense because in all likelihood the AVANT cost is equivalent to taking the train to the Malaga Maria Zambrano station for €1.40 - refer to Top Questions about this on right side. Regional train (MD) cost plus taxi cost equals AVANT cost ?

For train you have choice of 3 trains per hour and it takes 8 minutes actual travel time between Airport and Maria Zambrano station.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 14:30
Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

thanks for reply..we will not have to collect baggage, we will only have hand luggage but i realise now the timing is tight... i actually didnt realise it was a train u catch to go to the Maria Zambrano station! i suppose il have to see how we are fixed on the day for time..if we decide to stay in Malaga for a few hours before we travel to Seville, does that same train to the station go into the city?

Emirate of Abu...
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

Check out the train times, purchase tickets and then maybe have a couple of hours in Malaga for tapas lunch before continuing your journey.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

To add to the time delay you have airport xray machines at malaga station and the normal queues that can occurr, if you dont have a ticket you have to add in this time. The airport train enters underground, you have to then take the escalator to ground level walk pass the ticket office and then go through security into the main station concourse.

As Tapasgirl suggests would spend a few hours exploring Malaga and get a bit to eat and then a later train to seville.

jealous Seville one of my favourite spainish cities, over a year know since we enjoyed the joys of Seville, lucky you

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

We are also going to land in Malaga and get the train to Seville in April next year. My question is should we book trains beforehand (is this any cheaper like it would be here in the uk) or can we just book on the day so that if our flight is delayed we don't miss our train

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

You can get significant discounts by booking in advance (max. 62 days in advance) on the RENFE website.

Google 'man in seat 61' for the best site re any train travel, sorry can't post a direct link - bloody iPhone! (sorry Mr Jobs x).

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

thanks for that, will do

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

Spanish railways does give very good discounts when paid for in advance but mainly on long distance trains and in my experience not on this particular route.

The cheapest train from Malaga to Seville is the Media Distancia MD train that uses the old original railway line but does take longer than the fast high speed route that goes via Cordoba. You will not see times for April but you can look at the current times using www.renfe.com and the for current prices click on Purchase or go direct using : https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index.do

Cost of MD train is around €20 and for faster train nearly double.

Read this link for buying tickets on line from RENFE.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

if you are travelling to Seville at peak times such as beginning of April 2012 for Holy Week or the Feria de Sevilla then you could try buying in advance however if the first train is full then the next one should be fine. All depends if you don't mind being delayed in Malaga - there is also a left luggage locker room at Maria Zambrano station and you can deposit bags for a reasonable fee.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

Cadiz lover thanks for your help

We are coming over at the end of April so not holy week. When is the Feria de Sevilla - I read somewhere that it was the week after holy week so will that be the week starting 9th April? We don't arrive till 26th so I guess we will miss this even if it is the following week - 16th April

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving into Malaga and getting a train Transfer to Seville

Cadiz lover

It was the MD train that I was looking at, so are you saying that there won't be discounted fares for this train between Malaga and Seville. In that case it's probably worth just waiting till we are in Spain and buying the ticket once we get to Malaga train station