We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

You will be looking for troubles if you use GOLDCAR for a Car rental. Stay Away. I have two kids and arriving tired at Malaga airport after a long haul, making my reservation in advance as usual, the lady at the counter informed me that the car I have reserved is not available and they upgraded to a much more expensive one ( a golden car :)) and all this at my expenses. Reputable compagny when they cannot honor the car you reserve they give you free upgrade. I have argued this to the boss, she told me to leave if you are not intrested and after some comments she tried to threated me saying she will call a police. What a shame for spain to allow these kind of bussiness to operate without any protection for comsumers.

178 replies to this topic
T H
Swansea, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

Agreed with the above.. plus plus!! Ive never posted on tip advisor before but I feel so aggrieved with our 'Service' today. Arrived at Malaga airport with a 2 year old and waiting 2 hours in a huge queue. Must have been 30 others waiting in front of for their prebook cars. All the other rental companies in the row had a couple of people max waiting. I wish we hadn't prebooked, we would have got out of there in no time instead of waiting 2 hours and with all the xtras it didn't work out any cheaper at all! A whopping great big 95 euro was whacked on our bill for a tank of fuel, non refundable of you only used a fraction of the tank. Top top it off collecting a car seat I was told to help myself to a pile of them stacked high in the corner up, no indication of age, and total refusal to help advise how to fit the thing in the car. He was actually downright rude. I wish I would have known what was in store and paid an extra few pounds for a reputable car hire company. I will NEVER use them again. What's worse this was booked through a Thompson travel agency. Why are they staking their reputation on such a company? I will be following that up. Anyway I feel better having got that off my chest!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

Unfortunately a lot of the car hire brokers use companies like Goldcar because they are cheaper (at first). However, all the terms and conditions do say about the fuel policy and any extra insurance that's needed.

There are so many threads on TA about car hire companies, especially Goldcar. What I would say is that when you take the car back make sure that you take photos of the inside and outside of the car in case of comebacks later. Also, if you are not happy with them, then ask to see their complaints book, all Spanish companies have to give them to customers if asked. Fill in the book and if you don't get any satisfaction you should contact the local consumers office in Malaga and give them details of your complaint. Also, I would complain to Thompson as they should be aware of the problems their customers are having with Goldcar.

Seville, Andalucia...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

There's indeed protection for customers. In Andalusia it works rather well, better than in any other place I've lived in, and believe me, this means a bunch of Spanish regions and foreign countries. Here's the web of a very helful and reliable customers association: http://www.facua.org/es/english.php

Edited: 14 October 2012, 23:59
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

Thanks for that Fernando, I hope that it will help people who have problems in the future.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

I just came from Malaga. We had rented a car at Pepe cars but at the end it was Goldcar. After 2 hours making line, we got to the checking in desk, they forced us to pay an extra insurance (if not you have to leave a 600€ deposit) and according to their "fuel policy" which is not on your reservation (there only states: fuel: refer to fuel policy) you have to pay for the full tank of gas at premium price. We ask for the fuel policy but the person at the desk denied it and said something like you are making other people waiting... so if you use this company (or most of the small ones that refer you to gold car like Pepe cars, who at the end are just brokers) take into account that you will have to pay at least another extra 100 € because of course it is impossible to leave the tank completly empty.

Cirencester
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

DO THE MATHS AND GO ELSEWHERE! (apologies for the capitals but I feel really angry at being ripped off/having precious holiday time wasted) A sorry tale for us too....just shows that the cheapest is often so for a reason. Booked with Goldcar via arguscarhire.com before leaving for Malaga expecting an easy transition. Upon arrival were met with a massive queue - our estimate was that it would take 3-4 hours to get to the front. Just 2 grumpy staff trying to deal with the whole lot and taking an age with each person (why is this necessary when all details have already been given and just need checking?) When we joined the 'priority queue' we were rudely told that we had no business being there as this was for people who had not pre-booked: presumably a fast track for getting money out of innocent passers by. I calmly advised a staff member that the queue was unacceptable and that we were thinking of going elsewhere. The response? 'Go then' - great customer service skills. In the end we gave up and did go elsewhere. Yes, it cost more in pure Euro terms but the queue was short, the staff professional and it was an international company with ethics and standards. The maths are simple: Ask yourself what you and your family would need to be paid to endure 3 hours + in a hot queue waiting to be insulted. Add this figure to your Goldcar quote and then compare with the price of using a professional company. I think you'll find the difference is minimal. Vote with your feet!

Hitchin
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

I agree completely. Stay well clear of this company as you will be delayed and ripped off. Like others on this site, we had a two hour queue while all other hire car company desks were not busy at all. What appears to be a cheap deal when you first book online soon becomes much more expensive than all the other options. 'Fully comprehensive' insurance which you are offered online is not comprehensive at all. You will be charged a premium when you pick the car up to cover any accidents that you cause yourself (approx. €10 per day) - if you do not agree to this, they will require you to pay a €600 deposit. Once you agree to pay extra for the 'fully' fully comprehensive insurance, they will then give you a car covered in bumps and scratches. On top of that, the cost of a full tank of petrol for a Ford Focus was €100. Hope you start your holiday off in a better mood than we started ours!

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

GO OFF - AIRPORT

I spent a lot of time researhing car rental companies and chose Goldcar because they were, on airport, cheap and offered a refund on unused fuel.

Imagine the shock when I saw the length of the queue at the Goldcar counter. Yes the other rental companies have shorter queues, but they are much more expensive.

I have to say that when I eventually reached the counter they were very efficient. Yes, they did offer extra insurance - as all rental companies do. The only negative point was not asking me which currency I wanted to pay in and charged me 2% extra to convert it to GB Pounds.

On returning the car a man took the keys and when I said what about the fuel, he said "It's automatically refunded". Well, on arrival home there was an e-mail from Goldcar saying they had refuinded the unused fuel. That was efficient!

Next time, I will research the off-airport rental companies. Does anyone have a recommendation?

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

The last two hires I've had have been through malagacarhire.com and I had Niza Cars, which is off airport. Very good prices, polite staff and full/full policy. The cars have both been high milage but in good condition. I would certainly recommend them.

For totally hassle free/no worries hire you could try Helle Hollis. They are more expensive but if you use the code H6486 you will get another 15% off the price of the hire.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport

Consider www.malagacar.com too. Just off airport, they charge for a half tank of fuel. Must agree that for service and newer cars Helle Hollis have the edge.

Reply to: GOLDCAR rental : A band of thiefs at Malaga airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted