We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Montreal, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Experience with rentacarspain.com?

I will be flying to Malaga in 2 weeks time and will need a car on location.

Searching for a car rental from Malaga Airport, I find the rates from rentacarspain.com to be a fraction of the prices offered by other operators or brokers.

They do not seem to have an office in the airport, though they say they deliver the cars there on arrival.

I searched their name on the forum but no results came. I believe they must be operating under another name locally as they claim to be operators in Malaga and brokers for other Spain locations.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Memphre

74 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Seems to be many complaints about them not paying the caution back, i was shocked to see it booked fom my account as its normally blocked, i called them and received an unsatisfactory answer 'if the term is over 10 days we take the deposit, as we still have the car we will wait and see but i'm expecting the worst,maybe it's a natural instinct from a litigation lawyer!!

Tony

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Tony, not sure what your post is referring to.

Memphreorford - Do a search on the Costa Del Sol forum for car hire and you will see dozens of threads with lots of recommendations and companies to avoid. Sometimes cheaper is not best value.

Malaga, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Ceejayblue, my post is refering to that i don`t have much confidence in them (Rentacarspain).

The car we have from them was delivered :

1. Not cleaned

2. one hour late

3. Front headlight not working

4. Rear break light not working

5.Car is at least 6 years old

6. They took the deposit from our credit card (Didn't block it)

7.The contract you receive hardly looks legal to my trained eye.

The deposit as me really concerned, i've read many times that they don't pay it back, the reason this concerns me is i know i never let things go, the €400 isn't going to effect my life but i'm a person of principal and i would never let someone put one over on me!!

We have rented many cars at Malaga airport, i usually use Marbenjo or Sixt, i've also tried Record (Old cars-low prices-Petrol rip off policy-Try to hard sell extra insurance for silly things like using wrong petrol,losing keys), all the same low prices, Malagacar is half decent and i was about to book with them,i left it to the next day and it was €320 more expensive so i skipped ,Hellehollis i've never really liked but the wife usually takes her car from them and i've never heard her complain.

From september onwards reality returns to the car rental business in Malaga, at the moment its scalp the tourist time!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

You need to get the car back to them. If you get stopped by the police without a headlight or rear brake light then its you that's liable for the fine, not rentacarspain. We always check the lights before we leave the depot with any car hire and would refuse to take it if they didn't work.

Hope that you get your deposit back when you return but if there are things wrong with it that weren't highlighted when you took the car you may end up losing your deposit.

Malaga, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

To be honest we never had time to check the car, they gave the keys and left (airport delivery), however, i'm not worried about this effecting our deposit as the insurance covers anything like that and i did report it on day one with an e-mail follow up.

Still, you're right about what we should have done or at least what should be done, saying that we rarely drive at night so the front light is not an issue and its actually true that the law states 2 break lights should function, as their are 3 we still have the two.

To be honest i just can't be bothered returning the car before the contracted date, i'm simply sceptical about the company and their motives with the deposit.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Hello,

I booked a car for 8 days with Rentacarspain and they didn't collect the money from my bank account yet (although I opted for payment in advance). I did receive the voucher with the details to pick up the car. I sent them several e-mails, but they don't reply. I also sent them a message via whatsapp, but they didn't reply to this either. I'm supposed to pick up the car next week and now I'm worried, especially after reading the comments above.

Did they collect the money from your accounts in advance?

On their website it doesn't say anything about a deposit... do they ask for a deposit from everyone? Is the 400 euros a standard amount?

What is their fuel policy?

What other things should I be careful with?

I would appreciate any advice you have, this is the first time I'm renting a car...

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Anne, unless they have the whatsapp app I don't think they'd get your mesage. From the posts that Antony has made it looks like they aren't necessarily a good company to hire from. Have you hired from them direct or through a broker? If through a broker I'd cancel and start again with a new booking with someone reputable

We use www.auto-europe.co.uk and last year we refused Goldcar and Record when they offered them (bad reviews on here) and settled on Avis. A very little bit more but excellent service and a full/full fuel policy.

Have a read through some of the other car hire threads for advice and some things to watch out for.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,701 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

http://www.rentacarspain.com/ Anne the answers to most of your questions are on the website. Fuel is return with same amount as pickup. There is NO mention of additional "excess" insurance cost. Most companies insurance excludes damage to tyres, wheels, underbody, glass and lost keys. Most companies try to sell top up cover at pick up, if you choose not to take this cover then the deposit/card swipe mentioned above is applied. 400€ with some companies others may be more others less. I recently hired in Dublin and the deposit swipe was for 1200€. I had taken cover with another provider, so refused my suppliers cover. Had they kept any of my deposit i would have reclaimed it from my insurance provider.

Google "car hire excess insurance" if you would like quotes. Certainly cheaper than buying in Spain.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

thanks Ceejayblue and Mantalk! I will research a bit more and then see what my options are.

Darlington...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Experience with rentacarspain.com?

Rented from this company in late September. They took 138E plus 400E from my card. It's now mid-October and the 400E hasn't been refunded. The number on the rental slip doesn't work (although I may be dialling Spain incorrectly - we'll see...) If I can't reach them I will be asking my credit card provider to look into this for me as a fraudulent transaction.

Reply to: Experience with rentacarspain.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted