We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

Hello. I'm planning our next trip to Spain and have a question that I could use an opinion (or two) on. We'll be going from Granada to Malaga and I already know there are plenty of buses so that is one option. But we really like trains better and I was just checking times for the trains from Granada to Antequera and then from Antequera to Malaga. If this works, I think we'd rather travel this way. here's my question. there are three combinations and I was curious to see if we had enough time between trains to do it. I remember that Antequera is a pretty small town when we took the train to Madrid and Cordoba and so maybe we just walk down a bit to our next train? or just wait there for the next train? but not sure about that.

first option gets into Antequera at 8:05 and the train to Malaga leaves at 8:17. I kinda don't think this is enough time, right? next is one that gets in at 12:45 and the train to Malaga leaves at 2:02, plenty of time I think. maybe too much. the last one arrives 3:07 and the train out leaves at 3:29. I think this one is very doable. I know the trains are always (or nearly so) on time so maybe all 3 options would work. and of course there may be more or less options when we actually do this but this will give me good information. Which would you choose? thanks!

Edited: 13 July 2012, 01:24
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,703 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Antequera station which is on the slow line is the same station as Antequera Sta Ana which is on the totally separate fast track running north south. The two stations are far apart. This is why people do like the bus because it is direct and takes about 2 hours. See www.alsa.es

Plus it costs about €10.

If you wanted to do this journey by train you would need to change at some other station like Bobadilla for example. Otherwise you would need to leave the train at Antequera town station then take some other transport (either a bus or taxi) to Antequera Santa Ana station.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

Cadiz_lover has hit the nail on the head.

Both stations are quite far apart. Santa Ana, AVE's station, is not even in Antequera.

If you fancy spending a few hours in Antequera, which is of course worth, then I'd say do it. Otherwise. I'd go for the bus.

When is this next trip due?

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

ah, you see? this is exactly why I asked! I read somewhere of people taking this route so now I know. The bus might have to be it and hubby's going to hate that. In which case, we may have to rearrange our trip.

But you make an interesting point MACPollo. Antequera is one town I've had on my wish list to see so maybe we do spend a few hours there before heading to Malaga? Do you happen to know if there's a place to store luggage while we're checking out the town?

um....unless I win the lottery....next trip isn't until 2016 :( Yes, I start planning early just to keep my dream alive :) and to iron out these kinds of details.

thanks so much!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,082 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

The fast buses between Granada and Malaga are air-conditioned large coaches, travelling along the motorway, so going by bus is fine (it's how most people do it).

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

so....still wondering if anyone knows if there's a place to store luggage at either train station in Antequera. thanks.

thanks NSG for your help too.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

also...was just at renfe looking for Bobadilla. No such option in the list of stations?? is it called something else?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,703 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

When you look for smaller stations (not main stations) you will need to use the "Find all stations" menu.on www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

No left luggage at Antequera or Antequera Sta Ana.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

thank you Cadiz_lover. I clicked on your link but I'm not seeing the information about left luggage. at least not yet. Could you tell me how to find that specifically please? I am thinking this will be helpful in the future....if I can figure it out.

thanks so much!

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

other thoughts.....

so, we could do the second option, arriving from Granada at 12:45 and then leaving from Antequera to Malaga at 2:02. I'd guess that in a town of about 41k people we'd have plenty of time to get from one train station to another. While I understand this isn't the most efficient way to get from Granada to Malaga (believe me, I'd prefer to take the bus! and I am working on my other half to see the light. ha ha.), I think this train route will be doable. I may win in the end and he'll agree to a bus ride. a ver lo que pasa...........plus, we have lots of time before our trip and things can change in the mean time.

thanks again for everyone's help!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling from Granada to Malaga - opinion?

I do not understand the relevance of population and time, but here is the bus timetable to get you to Santa Ana. You will have to make your way up the hill to the bus station or take a taxi the 15kms. ish.

…antequera.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/TUA…