We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion needed

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion needed

Hi everyone,

I am taking a cruise and will be in Malaga for 8 hours. Not very interested with the cruise excursion. Need some suggestion on

1. Places to see (Interested in cultures, architecture and any spot with nice view or good take nice pictures, bridges etc)

2. What is the cheapest way to go out from the port? Is it walkable to the nearest train station?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestion needed

<<I am off on my first cruise soon and checking with friends who have done the cruise the unanimous conclusion was that it was better to stay in the town by the port rather than rush off to see something you can't see in a few hours and none of the towns on our cruise are a patch on Malaga.>>

Manzana - we have recently returned from our first cruise and I can fully endorse what your friends have said. E.g. we stopped at Livorno where most people traipsed off for a (very) few hours in Florence - we stayed at Livorno and discovered a fascinating city although not a patch on Malaga.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 06:16
Mentioned in this post
Livorno
Livorno
Province of Livorno, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestion needed

Thank you everyone for the amazing replies!

I am pretty sure I sent a reply while transiting in Singapore and was wondering why didn't I get any updates anymore but I realized I couldn't find my replies.

Well after some read up and considering I do not have much time, I have came up with my own list of places/things that I am interested (still not very sure if it will be enough time), hence I really need help in planning the point-to-point the best way I could do it logistically and financially.

Malaga Cathedral, Alcazaba, Roman Theater, Calle Larios, Plaza de la Constitucion, Atarazanas Market, Bridge of Santo Domingo, Palacio Episcopal, Santa Maria de la Victoria Church, Basilica of La Esperanza, ANtigua Casa de Guardia for wine, El Pimpi for tapas and Castle of Gibralfaro. Where should I start and which should I take train or just walk over keeping in mind I have only 8 hours.

Have also noted that I should try pescado frito, chirunguitos, serano ham jamon iberico. Anyone could suggest where I could have them?

Everyone talked about old city. Where is the old city exactly? Sorry have no clue...

I don't think the shuttle bus is free from the terminal to the port gate, I reckon is 1.8km to walk?

After all the reading I realized Malaga has so many things and so historical. 8 hours is actually a shame but I guess I get to do the most I could for the best.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga Cathedral
Malaga Cathedral
5,554 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Alcazaba
Alcazaba
8,354 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Plaza de la Constitucion
Plaza de la Constitucion
1,132 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Atarazanas Malaga Boutique Hotel
Atarazanas Malaga...
836 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
1,477 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Antigua Casa de Guardia
Antigua Casa de Guardia
652 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
El Pimpi
El Pimpi
10,549 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestion needed

The old city? Most of what you'd like to see is located in this historic area.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c158157/Malag…

I doubt you'll be able to cover all your points, or if it will even be enjoyable for that matter. It's a case of too much to see and too little time, lol. You'll have to go back (like me).

I use Google maps to help with trip-planning. It will give you a rough idea of where everything is. Once you arrive in Malaga, you can always get a better map. Taking the shuttle bus from the port will save you some time and energy.

El Pimpi is a fun place to have drinks or a meal. We had some fried fish and jamon when we were there this summer.

I re-worked my 2012 trip map to cover your desired destinations. Hope it helps!

http://goo.gl/maps/syur5

Pls pay attention to the red pin. It's the location of the elevator that you can take up to the Castle of Gibralfaro, in case you decide not to ride the sightseeing bus. There's a public bus (#35?) that goes up there too.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
El Pimpi
El Pimpi
10,549 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestion needed

Thank you Gigis!

I am leaving on my cruise tomorrow. I am excited and in the same time stressed up. So many things not planned yet. I see that you are Barcelona expert, I will be at Barcelona for a 2 days one night at the end of my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestion needed

Gigis, I am a bit lost. So i do not really need to actually take a bus to the Castle? I can take an elevator from somewhere near the Theater?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestion needed

Sorry, my bad. I should have been more clear. The elevator goes to the top of the Alcazaba fortress. Gibralfaro is further up the hill and the proper access is from the top. Therefore, it's best to take public bus #35 or the sightseeing bus.

Have a great time! I didn't realize you were leaving so soon or stopping in Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Alcazaba
Alcazaba
8,354 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
scotland
Level Contributor
18,514 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestion needed

No Bus required , you can see the Cathederal /Alcazaba fortress from the Cruise terminal , its opposite and across the street .

Just head towards the Cathederal , most places you mentioned earlie,r are 10 mins walk away from there map below , you will seethe port at the bottom of the map

www.planetware.com/map/malaga-map-e-malag.htm

Edited: 25 September 2012, 15:32
Mentioned in this post
Alcazaba
Alcazaba
8,354 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Suggestion needed

Thank you for all the help. All of you are just lovely. I wrote a reply in my other post. Yes, Malaga is compact and pretty. Covered everything on foot and I think it is the best way to do it. 8 hours are enough to cover at least these few important bits of Malaga.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
19. Re: Suggestion needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 03:19