We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

This is what I could come up with after suggestions and some read up but haven't got a clear picture of the transportation. I have only 8 hours and squeezing these into my itinerary. I hope I could manage it all.

Feel free to suggest the best way or any other thing I should add or remove.

Thanks in advance! Panicking now as I am leaving tomorrow and I am not done planning yet...

The distance I got are from google map so may not entirely right

1. From the port will walk to the Plaza de la Marina tourist information centre for a better map-500m (Hoping to get on the shuttle bus as well) then walk to

2. Calle de Larios (250m) for a stroll and churros then walk to

3. Teatro Romano (600m) to take some pictures then walk to

4. Alcazaba (68m) for more pictures and absorb all the history then walk to

5. Calle Guillen Sotelo (300m) where I could take the elevator to the Castillo de Gibralfaro for more pictures and history (Is there any other way to go from Alcazaba to the Castle?)

6. El Pimpi for lunch (1.5km from the castle), can anyone tell me if I can take a bus or train there? Have not got a clue how to get to El Pimpi then walk to

7. Santa Maria de la Victoria church (1km), anyone knows how to get here from El Pimpi by bus or train? I am also a bit confused as there are two Santa Maria de la Victoria on google map, not very sure which one. Worth the travel or should I skip this?

8. Malaga Cathedral (1.3km), need help for best way to go to Malaga cathedral from Santa Maria de la Victoria, I bet I will be tired of walking by this time..then from the cathedral walk to

9. Palacio Episcopal (42m) for some pictures then walk to

10. Plaza de la Constitucion (250) for a stroll and pictures then walk to (or is there any bus or train?)

11. Puento de Santo Domingo (500m) for some pictures then walk to

12. Basilica de la Esperanza (240m) for a short prayer and pictures then walk to (is there a bus I can take?)

13. Mercado de Atarazanas (350m) for buying some fruits then walk to

14. Antigua Casa de Guardia (120m) for a glass of wine before heading back to the port

Any suggestion how should I get back to the port?

Thank you for your tips and info shared. Hugs

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Sounds like you're going to have a busy day! I wouldn't be too disappointed if you don't manage to get it all in because it will give you a good reason to return to Malaga one day. I know some people say its not worth it but I would recommend the hop on hop off tourist bus. It will get you round the major sights and then you can decide which ones you would like to go back and see in more depth.

If you get tired and there is a bit of a distance between stops you could always get a taxi, or bus. Or, do what we did, we just wandered, and saw what we could in the time we had and enjoyed every minute and have left enough things to go back to another visit. The tourist information office will be able to give you lots of good advice when you get there.

Have a lovely visit, Malaga is a great city to meander around.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,252 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Adventurouschic,

I hope you are a good walker!

http://goo.gl/maps/UmCWN

I haven't followed your outline above. Instead, I've designed a route based upon what I might do and the available bus information.

El Pimpi is on a narrow section of calle Granada, at #62. From the previous sightseeing spot, it's a pleasant walk.

From the Basilica de la Esperanza, walk back to Alameda Principal 18 for your sip of wine at Antigua Casa de Guardia. Cross the street to Alameda Principal 21 to catch the #35 bus up to Gibralfaro Castle.

Link to #35 bus map:

webnet.emtsam.net:7083/RedEMT/…

From there, depending on the time, you might either take a taxi directly back to the cruise port or catch a bus down the hill to the shuttle bus (make sure to find out what time the bus picks up from the Plaza de la Marina.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

If you skip no 7 everything else is really close to each other, you'll have plenty of time. Do be aware that Atarazanas Market closes around 2:30pm, you need a morning visit to get the best out of it.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

As stated by fellow posters Málaga city centre is very compact and easy to walk, this being part of the charm.

I would encourage you to get to the market as early as possible. You'll have the opportunity to see the fish and seafood daily produce which is one of Málaga must sees! As advised my NSG there is no point in going after 1430 since it will be closed by then.

El Pimpi is fine to have a wine and see the place, but I would eat somewhere else. If you want to try the real thing you might enjoy more other places such as La Reserva del Pastor or Los Mellizos. Both are nearby, google them for directions.

Have fun!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

adventurous:

No. 5 - The elevator is for the Alcazaba. There is no elevator to the Gibralfaro Castle.

The castle has a wonderful view of the city of Malaga below. To go there by bus, take the No. 35 bus that leaves from the park (3rd stop from the Plaza de la Marina) and the Alameda Principal.

Hours for Bus No. 35 (from the Alameda Principal):

Monday to Sunday, and holidays: 11:00 to 19:00 H.

Last bus from Gibralfaro to downtown leaves at 19:20 H.

Hours are shown on www.emtmalaga.es bus service web site and for route 35 is at this page:

http://www.emtmalaga.es

No. 7 - From El Pimpi walk to the end of Calle Granada to the Plaza de la Merced. At the corner you can take any bus going up Called de la Victoria to reach the Basilica de la Victoria. Bus costs 1.20 euros.

Address is Plaza del Santuario, 0. Tell the bus driver when you get on the bus that you want to go to the church and he will stop there.

Have a good time. Congratulations on making your detailed plan!

6. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 07:19
Edited: 25 September 2012, 07:19
7. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 07:23
Edited: 25 September 2012, 07:23
Ljubljana
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Can anybody tell me if there is a bus from costa ship in cruise port to Placa de marina and also back to the ship.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Janez:

Yes, there is a bus that goes from the cruise port to the park beside the Plaza de la Marina.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent Help needed for fine tuning my itinerary

Thank you everyone in helping me to plan my trip. Big hugs for all of you.

First of all 8 hours were enough to cover all that I have listed and anyone planning for more, you could probably squeeze in another one or two sights if you want as I walked to all the places and I walked really (like really really) slow.

As someone mentioned earlier, Malaga is compact. It is easy to get around.

I started from the tourist information counter and got a good map and walked to the market then to San Domingo bridge and the church opposite. Then walked all the way to Malaga Cathedral and the palace going through those beautiful streets and found El Pimpi but did not decide to have a meal there. Then made my way to the Roman theater, Alcazaba and the castle. The castle is a climb but totally worth it.

There is bus shuttle from the boat to Plaza de Marina which will cost 6 euro return by the cruise liner, we took this option as it was drizzling when we were going out but it is not far to walk actually and it is a nice walk. We would totally walk there if it wasn't because of the drizzle which stopped right after that.

The staffs at tourist information center at Plaza de Marina were so helpful and the map provided are great. There is also free audio guide provided if you need one.