We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga old town in January

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leeds,UK
Level Contributor
389 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga old town in January

Hi guys,will malaga old town be open for business in January? Just researching a trip for this coming January and wondering if its better to stay in elsewhere in the city at that time of year if its just open for the majority of the tourists during the warmer months. We would prefer the old town though.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,886 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga old town in January

Malaga is a "real" woring town with a large population, so is not just for tourists. Everything will be open as usual, with the exception of 6th jan as this is 3 kings day.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 21:20
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga old town in January

January is probably a great time to see the Old Town at its best, as there aren't many cruise ships in port.

As Mantalk says, Málaga is a large (500,000 plus) working city - sadly the Old Town has become more tourist-orientated in the last few years as the cruise business has expanded but in January you'll see more of the local Málaga.

Unlike in Leeds in January you may need some suncream if sitting outside for lunch!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga old town in January

Gladys:

Malaga never shuts down and everything is open during winter.

leeds,UK
Level Contributor
389 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga old town in January

Hi guys,thanks for your advice,we love going to places off season just for that very reason,to avoid the masses( and cos I'm a redhead and don't fare well in the sun!) so,yes, NoSoy, I will most definitely have my sun cream with me!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga old town in January

Gladys:

Even if temperatures are lower in January, we still have our sunshine many of the days.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga old town in January

If you are looking for a hotel, I can recommend the Don Curro. We stayed there last night and it was excellent (apart from the breakfast, which was perfectly adequate, but not excellent). The hotel is in the best possible location, just off the sea front and right at the start of the main drag up to the old town.

leeds,UK
Level Contributor
389 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga old town in January

Thanks Tynemouth,I'll bear that in mind.

Leeds
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga old town in January

Hi Gladys. I am also a proud Leeds person. Will keep an eye on this post to

see how you go on in Malaga in January. Going this thursday but would like to try Jan as its my birthday month.

leeds,UK
Level Contributor
389 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga old town in January

Well it's mine too,hence why we wanted to go then. Let me know if you've any tips after your trip,hope you have a lovely time.

Leeds
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga old town in January

Had a fab time. Lovely city, so suprised. We had great weather.Taxi from airport about 21/23 euros. Molina Lario was very good. Had a lovely view of cathederal from a small balcony. Breakfast was quite good but if I go again, which planning for January might just go room only and have breakfast out. Only thing that worries me is if the rooms have heating. Hate being in a cold room. Will have to check with hotel. Just a bit worried about January weather. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.