We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,243 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Malaga has just put 10,000 poinsettias at the Plaza de la Marina, the Plaza de la Constitucion and other places downtown. Malaga likes to put its best foot forward for Christmas.

Our Christmas lights will be on this Saturday.

Welcome to Malaga!

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Plaza de la Constitucion
Plaza de la Constitucion
1,132 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

So from 80,000 to 10,000 - that's a drop, not such a "best foot" but a little toe this year - hardly surprising really!!

CB

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Excellent decision of the Town Hall, in my opinion. Hard times, so putting its best foot forward means exactly this.

Thanks for the info, Benny.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,298 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

I agree wholeheartedly with Ati.

Benny, 1 flower, 100 flowers or 10,000 flowers.... Malaga is beautiful and I wish I were there now! Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Could be only 9,999 now, one just appeared in our lounge.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Ian yours is probably an M&S Poinsettia. Talking of which M&S had some lovely ones the other day when I was in. Sensible decision Málaga.

Lindsay

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

We will be putting our best foot forward tomorrow when we land in Malaga. Looking forward to another brilliant pre Christmas weekend there ! Thought the city, lights and yes the 'poinsettias' looked great last year and bonus this year is they are switching the lights on while we are there! Timing is perfect as the cold snap bites in over here in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

Malaga has spent 534,000 euros on Christmas lights this year. Zaragoza has spent 50,000 and Valencia 70,000.

Whilst I shall certainly go in and enjoy the lights and the poinsettias I think you can see why the northern industrial part of Spain gets a bit fed up with Andalucia from time to time.

The argument is that it is good for shopping and tourism (as if that doesn`t matter in Zaragoza or Valencia) but the shops contribute little extra and the tourism in early December is at its lowest. Lets face it the lights are for Malaguenos and if a few tourists enjoy them too all to the good.

I am looking forward to seeing them. I always think they make Regent Street look like they have popped out to IKEA for light bulb.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 23:27
Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

manzana,

while I fully agree that in these harsh times we could probably look for other ways to spend the money, we should take into account that those 534,000 are exclusively paid by Málaga City taxpayers and not a dime comes from state or regional tax redistribution programs which cause so much concern nowadays in this country (a very different story are the funds which are transferred to the regional government!).

The ruling party in Málaga's Town Hall wins election after election, so my bet is that Málaga taxpayers are happy with this admittedly over the top expenditures in Christmas decorations (yes, other cities look like they bought their decorations in Ikea, I like that comparison :) )

And the truth be told thousands of Malagueños (me included, dear wife has instructed me) will head this afternoon to the centre to see the lights. You are completely right that the lights are there for the citizens of Málaga to see: they paid for them, after all!

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

We have the same problems in Leeds. In addition to great christmas lights we also stage the largest Christkindelmarkt - German Christmas market which is supposed to be the largest and most traditional German market held on the u.k. runs (9th Nov to 16th dec)

I live 22km from the centre, the lights run from the centre pass my house.

Local authority has had to save £90 million on this years budget, locals are trying to find out using the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the true costs. Have to say I think the city looks fantastic at night and if the snow forecast for tonight occurs will look even better.

Spend 2 hours walking my 30 month old grandaughter round last night, unfortunately my legs ran out after about 5 miles of walking.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga Is Dressed for Christmas With 10,000 Poinsettias

I hope Malaga has more success with its poinsettias than I have! Within a few days, all I have left are bare stalks.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain