We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Works

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Road Works

While in Malaga last October there were fairly major roadworks between the city centre and Maria Z station. Are these likely to be still ongoing this October?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Works

Yes, they are building a new metro (tube) system and work will be ongoing for some time yet.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Works

Pav, thanks for the update. I was just curios. We're used to similar heaval here with the Edinburgh tram project.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Works

Jackiee:

The problem in Malaga is that the Andalusian Government (Junta de Andalucia) that is funding the metro is running out of money, so most work on the metro is paralyzed.

When the metro was first designed, everything downtown was supposed to be underground. Now the Junta wants to redesign it so that the metro downtown will be above ground to save money. The Mayor belongs to the other political party and he insists it be below ground. So since there is no agreement, everything is paralyzed for the moment.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Works

Friends:

The Junta wants to put the metro above ground on the Alameda Principal and Plaza de la Marina. I walk on this street everyday and there is much car traffic and bus traffic because it acts like a bus interchange. Putting a metro on it would be a danger to pedestrians. There just is no space there. It would also be detrimental to tourists who visit the city. I am totally against the plan of the Junta. The people from the Junta live in Seville and cannot make unilateral decisions like this. Better not to have any metro at all.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Works

Benny,

I don't like the new tram-alike approach of Junta de Andalucía either.

The plan to build an above ground metro along the Alameda Principal apparently includes (I say apparently because the Junta is very confusing about this whole thing) pedestrianizing this street, if not totally half of it. It would then become a very similar scheme as Las Ramblas or Rambla de Catalunya in Barcelona.

The Town Hall actually considers pedestrianizing this street at some point of time in the near future, so both parties at least agree on this. The major is passionately confronting the tram approach solution by Junta de Andalucia though.

I don't think traffic is a major issue though. For those of us who live in Málaga such as you and myself, shutting the Alameda seems like a suicide. But I've seen professional scientific (read: not politician stuff!) traffic studies and Muelle de Heredia should have enough capacity to absorb that traffic (remember that building an underground Paseo de los Curas is also in the agenda for whenever the damn crisis ends).

I personally think that the best approach would be to stop construction of the metro system where it is right now (El Corte Inglés) and wait for better economic times to proceed with the existing project, for the following reasons:

- The already built lines cover much of Málaga's population (west and northwest districts), and those districts not covered (namely eastern districts) have fewer population and can have more bus lines. There is a proposal to build a bus only lane to Pedregalejo. That would be way cheaper than a metro and about as effective.

- This last leg has funding and while slower, its construction is going ahead.

- El Corte Inglés is actually very near the city centre. As you know the existing local train line has ended in the Alameda (just meters ahead) for more years than I can remember, and the line seems to be working just fine.

- I'm worried that they start construction and halt it at some point of time because of financial hurdles leaving the Alameda Principal and/or Plaza del la Marina a construction site for a few years. That would be a complete disaster, and I'm afraid that our politicians are capable of that and much more.

I've always defended that it is a nonsense to build the metro system along Alameda Principal. We have Muelle de Heredia and Paseo de los Curas. Construction wouldn't affect the city centre as much and the metro stops would be just about as close to the action as they are in the existing design.

Rant about our stupid politicians over LOL.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 08:18
Scotland
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Works

It's all very interesting and sounds not unlike the Edinburgh fiasco. The tram project here is up and running again after being halted for a long time. Politicians again were the problem with not enough thought and common sense used! Most locals were against it from the start too.

(apologies for spelling errors, the iPad I'm using decides to change things and I forget to check!)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Works

MACPollo:

I have been thinking of the tram they built between Torre del Mar and Velez-Malaga, above ground. There were no barriers and there were many accidents between the tram and cars.

Yes, in Malaga they can start the metro between Huelin and El Corte Ingles.

Oswestry
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Works

I don't live in Malaga but know it very well as I visit quite often. I was interested in your views regarding the train / tram access to the centre, I think like you do, that they should leave the decision until there is enough money in the pot to do it properly. As you say it already terminates at the end of the Alameda nr and on the opposite side to Corte Ingles. BTW I can't for the life of me remember where Muelle de Heredia is unless it's one of the 3 lanes or even 4 running along the Alameda.

Coming from the Aeropuerto we usually catch the tren to M Sambrano and get a taxi to our fav hotel Don Curro which is cheaper than a taxi from the Aeropuerto. As we are getting on in years it's a lot simpler than going on the tren to the Alameda and dragging cases up the steep stairs , followed by the trek to Sancha de Lara.

We are contemplating driving down to Malaga in June but looking at the traffic flows, it is tending to make us nervous and the parking is a real problem. We were there last week and noticed they were digging up the roads around the C Vendeja and C Trinidad Grund which might impede our access to the garage of The Sur

where we have stayed before when we arrived in Malaga with a car many years ago. I would hate being impeded, getting lost and ending up going down the park heading for the Torrijo roundabout which could be a nightmare for an elderly ,left side of the road driver like myself. We know the route into Malaga from the Granada road very well, past the Rosaleda, over the bridge, tunnel under marmoles and popping up at the end of the Vendeja , However, the road works as mentioned is putting us off, and we have no way of knowing in advance if they will be finished in June.

On the bright side It seems we have brought a little bit of sun back with us to the UK.

Cheers

Tom

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Works

Muelle de heredia is where the bus station near the port is.

Oswestry
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Works

Ahh Thanks for that, On my map that road is called "Manuel Agustin Heredia" hence my confusion. It's a very old Map .

Regards

Tom

Edited: 21 April 2013, 11:40
Get answers to your questions about Malaga