We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga or Nerja?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon coast
Level Contributor
550 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga or Nerja?

Rick Steves ... whose guides I always study thoroughly when planning a trip ... pretty much dismisses Malaga altogether but recommends Nerja as a place to stay on the Costa del Sol. Seems like there are many interesting things to see in Malaga, although I understand it is a larger city. Any thoughts? Will we find Old World charm in Malaga?

We will be there in October, if that makes a difference (beach crowds, etc.).

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

Nerja has the caves, beautiful scenery and a good atmosphere with plenty of bars and restaurants and Frigliana, one of the white villages is nearby. Its a lovely place to relax in but it hasn't got the culture or the museums that Malaga City has.

Malaga City has lots of old world charm, ancient monuments and amazing museums, shops, bars and restaurants and beaches too. Have a look at the top questions on the right and some of the reviews on the reviews section.

From Malaga you could do day trips to other places along the coast, including Nerja and in the opposite direction to Torremolinos and onwards to Marbella and Estepona.

Not sure if you can get it in the USA but there is a booklet called Footsteps Through Malaga, which although written in the 1990s has details of some wonderful walks around the city. Here is a link to the website where you can get it from: http://www.guide-to-malaga.co.uk/ The tourist office in Malaga has a huge amount of information on places to go and things to do

Malaga is a working city and has a fantastic atmosphere and I love it there. Hope this helps.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

Nerja from October 9th 12th certainly won't be quiet as that is Feria time.

Malaga is a great city with plenty to see and discover in the old historical centre. October is a good time, the temperature is normally nice enough to sunbathe (although a possibility of some rain), and as Ceejayblue says great links to other town for days out

London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

I would agree with Ceejayblue. I think that by staying in Malaga you could use it as a base to see other places like marbella, ronda, or even estepona. i think tat malaga would have more to offer you during the time of year that you will be traveling.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

ljr:

Rick Steves was wrong. Perhaps his book is outdated now. Malaga has made many improvements. We now have the most museums in Andalusia, so there is plenty to see. The biggest museums are the Picasso and the Carmen Thyssen Museums. The Glass and Crystal Museum is unique in Spain.

There is much more to see in Malaga than Nerja, although I love Nerja for day trips. Malaga has a population of 600,000, while Nerja has 60,000. Yet you will not see any British bar here.

Oregon coast
Level Contributor
550 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

I'll take your word, Benny! Glad to eat at Spanish bars!

Funny though ... after visiting Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, we went across the street to have lunch in an Irish pub! Wonderful Europe!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,603 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

You will find an Irish pub in Malaga too. Morrisseys in Plaza Del Siglo.

visitcostadelsol.com/what-to-do-and-see/nigh…

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,213 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

There are quite a few Irish pubs in Málaga!

scotland
Level Contributor
12,192 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

Malaga would feel more "Spainsh" ,its a working City and you will be able to eat in many great local bars restaurants , Nerja would be more of a tourist town , and is very nice in its own right and as above a day drip would be great .I'd say try Malaga city ." Old World charm in Malaga" Alcazaba Fortress started building in 1040 ,Malaga Cathedral Between the 16th - 18th centuries,The Roman Theatre belonging to 1st Century B.C. lies adjacent to the Moorish Alcazaba Fortress,Museo Picasso Málaga was built in the 16th century on the ruins of a Nasrid palace, old enough?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

Málaga was founded by Phoenicians at El Cerro del Villar (in what today is the Guadalhorce river bed) in the 900s BC... so with more than 3,000 years of history it is quite old!

As others have mentioned, I'd stay in Málaga city for the kind of visit you seem to be looking for.

Nerja is a lovely and relaxing town, but not comparable to Málaga in cultural terms.

Enjoy.

10. Re: Malaga or Nerja?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 07:15