We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Hello there, I'm a car rental newbie and have been reading through the forums wrecking my head. (It gets interesting, well sort of)

I have been using doyouspain.com for quotes, that's with using the Full/Empty default fuel option (Not a popular choice I know) Although I can rent a 5 door Golf for like £80 for the week, or a Nissan Cashcow as I like to call them for little over a £100 ( That's with Full Insurance: Zero Excess) and for a Child seat it's 4 Euro's a day roughly.

So I started searching Full/Full fuel options which is obviously better but for some reason the Zero Excess option drops off all the deals, but not only that a child seat goes from 4 odd Euro a day to 17 Euro a day, mmmmm.

So i'm left with the option to initially give too much money for fuel but still get a cheap car with cheap child seat and zero Excess.

Or save on the potential rip-off fuel and go Full/Full, pay for Zero excess and more expensive child seat.

It probably all balances out then? I guess there's not much point getting caught up in the fuel debate?

Any advice?

PS: I should point out that I am travelling with 3 Children (1,3 and 6), so I wanted the Airport rental option to avoid carting them off-site. I'm bring two booster seats, don't fancy bring a full car seat though

Edited: 04 June 2013, 16:51
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

I used www.carhireexcess.com I have used various companies quite a few times now, and not had a claim yet. So can`t comment on that side of the service (thankfully).

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

I went through Quidco.com and used Direct Car Excess. It was £39.99 for the year and I got around £9.50 back as cashback. Hope not to have to make a claim but at least I know we're covered.

Bexhill, England...
13 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

We used https://www.icarhireinsurance.com

£23.92 for 8 days...............should have checked Quidco first though, my wife won't be impressed :(

Edited: 10 June 2013, 18:31
Helston, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Car hire excess are quoting just over £15 for 8 days end of month so looks ok to me and seems to offer the same cover as the other insurers.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Its better cover, as it includes lost keys, misfuelling and recovery charges for breakdown.

Helston, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Well that's made my mind up for me even if I was unsure before :).

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

Just make sure you check the car before driving away and ensure any damage not shown on your sheet is added and stamped and initialled by the hire company..

Must have warning triangle and Hi Viz vests for all passengers, which must be in the car, not the boot.

Spare pair of glasses if your a glasses wearer as well.

Helston, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

At least you don't need breathalysers yet. We've always taken photos before and after the hire just in case, when we returned the hire car to Faro A/P last time we visited no one even checked it over you just parked it up in a open air car park.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

We always video the inside and outside of any car we hire (even from the recommended car hire companies). We also check, like Ian says, the safety equipment, you never know if the previous hirers took anything and if it wasn't checked thoroughly you may be missing something.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car rental at Malaga Airport (Check this out :) )

nick cc: You do need breathalyser kits in France and spare bulbs.