We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire, malaga Airport

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire, malaga Airport

I am going to Spain for 10 days in July and was seeking some guidance on the best car hire options from Malaga Airport ? Any good advice, particularly do's and don'ts based on personal experience very welcome.

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

Check car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.spain.info

www.andalucia.com/villages/home,.htm

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,276 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

I suggest that you have a look at the car hire threads on the forum, there are lots of good companies but some really bad ones - definitely avoid Firefly, Marbesol, Briansrentacar. Some people have had problems with Goldcar and Record but a few regulars have had good experiences.

My favourites are going through Auto-europe.co.uk - we had a great deal with Avis 2 years ago. This year going with Helle-hollis, not the cheapest but great customer service. A lot of people speak highly of Do You Spain - another broker. They have filters on their website so you can choose which company you want to leave out of the choices and also whether you want a full/full fuel policy or a full/empty one.

As I say have a look at some of the car hire threads, they've got some great advice in them.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 13:28
kent
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

I have been travelling to malaga airport for over 10 years. I always hire a car and I can highly recommend www.malagacar.com. They are located just outside the airport so you get to avoid the massive queues which you incur when hiring on airport. Just awful I have waited before for almost 2 hours, a terrible system. The courtesy buses are located just a min walk around the corner for the main terminal building. The bus will take you directly to malagacar where you will be dealt with efficiently. They have great customer service. Really are the best I've used I would rate them 10.10.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 18:58
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

We booked a last minute trip to Malaga a couple of weeks ago, literally booking the flight the night before we went so were too late to pre-book car hire. On arrival at Malaga we happened upon Autos Lido in the car hire hall, no queue, very friendly service and reasonable prices.

We were out of the airport within 15 mins of collecting bags, unlike those poor travellers in the huge queues for the 'cheap' hire places. We paid €180 for a week for a 4 door Mazda 2, best of all they operate a full/full policy on fuel which was included in this price and also insurance with nil excess. Whilst it sounds expensive compared to the likes of Gold Car, we've been stung before with high costs for the full tank of fuel that you pay for at the desk along with the high daily rate for reducing excess.

Very friendly service both on pick up and on drop off - we won't hesitate to use them again in future and I would definitely recommend them.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

Thanks a lot, much appreciated

wilts
Level Contributor
101 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

Would also agree about using Malagacar. Consistently good and, being off airport, it is much quicker to collect the car. In July the crowds at the on airport rental desks will be terrible so the courtesy bus for Malagacar is really useful. Price wise they compare favourably with other companies at the airport.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

I would agree with others here, try to avoid the on airport companies, they are a nightmare and the queues are dreadful mainly because they are trying to sell everyone the additional insurance, if you've chosen not to take this they brow beat you into taking it which is what takes the time for each customer, it has taken me 2 hours to get through these queues. I would also avoid rentalcars.com as an agent as well.

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

Unfortunately we were completely conned by Autos Lido. We travel regulary to Malaga and normally prebook Record but as there was a bit of a queue, we enquired with Autos Lido if they could match the price of Record which was Including petrol. We checked twice that it included petrol and they clearly said yes. However on our return Antonio told us to fill up the car otherwise it would be deducted from our 300 euro deposit. They clearly know this is a practisethat the desk attendants use to convince tourists to switch supplier. Disgusted and never again!

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

Hi ,

Coming to Calahonda in 3 weeks. Used Marbesol last year and as you said , it was pretty poor. Back in 2009 there was a post with regard to Dragon Cars meet and greet. Their website and quotes are good ( i.e. not a cheap quote but reasonable and pay for the fuel you use only) Have you any experience of this firm please.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,276 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire, malaga Airport

We used Helle Hollis this time, brilliant service, good price (using the Owners code from Alinbenalmadena) and a €10 discount voucher. Had a Suzuki Splash, only 3 cylinders but it did us well for the two weeks, cost us €226 for the 2 weeks plus we spent €47.55 on fuel when we topped up on return and they refunded our fuel payment in full and the deposit we'd paid.

Car was almost new, 7.5km on clock, a couple of scratches that were noted and when returned the car it was checked and all found to be OK. Had a great two weeks and would highly recommend Helle Hollis every time!

Get answers to your questions about Malaga