We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire Firefly

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
car hire Firefly

Hi Folks,

I like warn people who are looking to hire a car rental via Firefly, in this case Malaga Airport.

I clearly agreed with the girl working in the office below at Malaga airport rental park Not to charge me any extra on the insurance, I know the costa del sol very well and did lots of car rentals there.

But as you may guess they simply made a new charge for the non waiver access later from my deposit which was €300,-. while the deposit should be released in full back to my cc. (was no damage as noted from the final invoice)

I think they must earn big bugs on commission for the extra insurance charge, I assume this because they took the effort and made a complete new extra charge for it on my credit card incl fuel. (€90,- fuel charge on my cc incl €15,- VAT which was a ripoff in any case!)

So on top €90,- bucks for fuel are still apart reserved, me assuming here they keep it as a backup for open fines.

And now the worse part...!

You can't reach them, they don't reply via their web form, they have No phone number and Hertz and carental.com simply hide and say they can't access the details of this booking!

Firefly (hiding themselves under they Hertz umbrello) are commission crooks, my advise> Stay Far Away from them!!!

49 replies to this topic
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire Firefly

Firefly used to be called Advantage and are one of the most complained about car hire companies on the Costa Del Sol. Having said that the fuel policy is consistent with others, including the better companies (did you get full/empty or full/full fuel?). Also, if you didn't agree to take out the extra excess insurance then they put a block on your credit card which, as you said, they would use if there was any damage to the the tyres, windscreens, clutch etc when you return the car and should then either refund the charge (if they actually charged it to your card) or remove the block. This again, is consistent with other companies and yes, I would say the staff do earn commission on any policy they sell.

All this is in the terms and conditions and is part of the T&Cs on a lot of car hire companies, even the good ones.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire Firefly

Hi Ceejayblue,

Thanks for your feedback,

I had full/full fuel deal, but they put VAT €15,- on top of the fuel which most companies I know off don't do this trick in Malaga.

Because I did Not take the "excess insurance" they've reserved €300,- on my credit card which is fair enough, so why charge the excess insurance after all on my CC... earning additional commissions???

On the final invoice, which I get from carrental.com customer service specifies that they charged me extra €37,50 for the excess insurance, which was not what we aggreed upon. (included a complete new charge for the fuel, which is now actually taken a second time, the first fuel charge is still blocked on my card)

I find them in particular crooks because they did a complete new charge on my CC to get this commision. (they didn't need to as stated above & there was no damage charge)

€37,- is not a lot of money but for me a principal question because many folks out there probably won't even bother for the effort, but I do and one should be aware before a booking!

Sometimes I wonder in Spain, do they have really a Crisis or are some just hunting tourist out of the country because they're incredibly greedy!

If anyone could provide me a correct email address of phone number from a Firefly office I'll appreciate it.

(on spanish webform there is no reply)

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire Firefly

Hi Martin

If you contact your credit card company you can dispute the extra charges and they will help get them back. The fuel costs we've had to pay in the past have had the VAT included in the price so by them charging it separately it does seem a bit strange (wonder if Hertz themselves do that?).

It certainly seems that Firefly is not listening to the complaints that people make as it continues to be one of the most complained about companies. I had a look on their website too and they are very cagey about their contact details aren't they? LOL! You could try contacting them on their Twitter feed, they don't seem to have a facebook page where you could post your query too! Sometimes that makes companies sit up and take notice even quicker! Although looking at the Twitter page they don't have many followers, I wonder why? LOL!

Hope you can get everything sorted out soon.

Regarding the crisis in Spain, yes it is very bad! With unemployment so bad (around 30%+) and lots of people who run restaurants and bars have seen a big downturn over the last couple of years with many going to the wall.

Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire Firefly

I agree - care needed! HolidayAutos put us onto a deal with Firefly when we couldn't get the car we needed elsewhere. The notorious full/empty fuel deal cost €90 for a tank of diesel and it was only on checking my credit card bill that I realised that VAT was on top of that! They also slapped on €90 odd for all risks insurance without telling us. I realised this the day after we picked the car up, telephoned them and cancelled it without difficulty.

Oh, and they seem to convert their CC charges to sterling at their own rates, which I reckon cost me another £15.

Overall I would avoid them unless you have no choice.

A few tips:

1 They are in the airport underground car park. Go down the ramp from the baggage reclaim, past all the people queuing for the other companies, and out into the car park.

2 You will still have to queue. They have a ticket machine to organise the queue. We waited a good 40 mins in sweltering underground heat. Mysteriously our own transaction was very quick.

3 They do have a phone no. It should be on your contract. It was also on our HolidayAutos confirmation. On the other hand their email address did not seem to work.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire Firefly

Rented a car at Malaga airport with Firefly via Do You Spain. Got a nice voucher from DYS but Firefly proceeded to take not a blind bit of notice of it and loaded up all sorts of extras (insurance CDW and VAT)that our DYS voucher said were included. Plus they charged us 70 euros for fuel in a tank that struggled to gold 50 euros worth. Moral of the story - pay for your car hire in the UK so you know exactly what the costs will be as trying to get a reply from Firefly or DYS is absolutely impossible. They clearly do not give two hoots once they have your money.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire Firefly

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580271-i10015-k…

Email Jose, MD of DYS his details are in the post link above. I am sure he will look into your issues.

However post 4 above booked via Auto Europe and paid in UK, still ended up with Firefly. CDW is included in DYS cost, however Firefly (as all others) strongly push their own excess cover, due to being heavily bonussed on its sale. In fact they openly lie to sell it.

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire Firefly

Beware of FireFly Malaga airport, Spain who were sourced by Holiday Autos part of Cartrawler...

Booked a 3 day rental for 26.44 euros, for 2300 hours on 10/10/13, arrived at the rental desk at 0015hrs and had to wait for the single firefly female rep to deal with one other customer and was asked to wait outside, this is because you quickly realise they start banging on extra charges and don't want witnesses or other customers to be present or hear, when dealt with at 0025 hours we wanted to examine the quality of the vehicle before signing, which did have damage which I photographed but wasn't given any option or facilities to record this on any paperwork or plan of the car. We were then charged 47.80 euros out of hours charges, the rep said this was because it was after 2200 hours. Showed the rep our voucher booking the car for 2300 hours with flight details supplied and nowhere on the rental agreement / voucher or contract terms of conditions was this fee disclosed. The rep then said it was because it was after 0000hrs and was stated on the internet and it was my responsibility to check, when i did, it stated under their own rental qualifications and requirements updated 15/03/2013 on the internet a "out of hours charge" is applied after you arrive 90 mins after closing time. However the malaga office closing time is 0200 hours until 30/10/2013 so no charge should have been applied... If so it should have been 29 euros after 0200 hrs and thats if the rep remains at the office upto 90 minutes after closing due to flight delays, the rep was told i was unwilling to pay this charge as she was unable to provide written evidence to the contrary and told me to take it up when back in the uk or she would not supply the vehicle, asked to speak with a manager which was refused and claimed she would ring the police, due to the time and being held to ransom I reluctantly paid it, which she said she would waiver if i took out the extra insurance!?! Extremely disappointed with this attitude which ruined a somewhat good rental which concerned me after reading poor reviews on trip advisor etc, I am therefore taking the matter up with the credit card company and disputing the amount.

Spa, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire Firefly

I sadly can only confirm all negative comments about Firefly.

I have just come back from a trip to Malaga, and rented a car from "rentalcars.com" blindfold, i.e. not knowing the brand of the company. even though they advertise all major names, this was Firefly. Among the things that happened :

- 2 hours queue at their office, in poor safety conditions.

- received a Seat Ibiza, smaller than the Opel Astra that was booked.

- they push you to get a full insurance. they got me so scared that I took it. considering comments read on the forum, it was probably a good decision : I will never have to discuss with them anymore.

- The car was dirty (I mean really dirty : no way to see through windshield with sun upfront, liquid spilled over the passenger seat, ...)

- some parts were broken, like the trunk luggage cover.

This is indeed part of Hertz group, and given the km counter, I think they drop in the Firefly category their used cars, with a minimum of maintenance / no maintenance at all.

In one word : never again, and always make sure who you are booking with...

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire Firefly

HI

I used firefly at Seville airport. I didn't get the car which was agreed. I returned the car on time, with a full tank of petrol and had no incidents, plus I was fully insured anyway.

When I returned home I noticed they'd kindly taken 47.00 GBP from my Visa card. No explanation or noticfication and they continue to ignore my emails.

I can only assume that they don't strive for repeat customers.

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire Firefly

Is there any companies that you can really trust? First time hiring car next summer.... I have heard malagacar is ok, who else?

Reply to: car hire Firefly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted