We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

Hi,

I and my fiance am planning our honeymoon in Spain around the Christmas time (as I believe rest of the Europe will be freezing in snow) and we are really confused about which cities to visit and for how long. Here are some of the details:

1. We have time for 7 nights and 7 days (20th till morning of 27th December)

2. We would prefer minimal travel. (2 cities at max.)

3. We like the sea view, but we are not too much keen on spending time at the beach. That's anyways out of question I believe, as the water would be very cold. We would rather explore the historical monuments, nature, shop and have romantic dinners.

4. We would prefer quiet and peaceful places, however, accessibility takes a precedence over that.

Please suggest us 2 cities in Spain that can be managed in these 7 days. Personally, I am confused between Malaga, Barcelona and Madrid. However, we are completely open to suggestions.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

sonik:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has many museums, historic churches, and monuments. The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. Shopping is wonderful and the city is very safe. The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Good hotels:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio, Hotel Molina Lario

3-star: Hotel Don Curro

You may want to spend 2 or 3 days in Granada, although it will be cold. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

Thanks Benny! Malaga definitely seems to be in my list. I will check out the hotels you just posted for availability. Train bookings haven't started for December yet, however, I will keep a lookout. Please do let me know in case there are any off-beat activities that can be done or events that can be attended in Malaga during this period that usual tourist sight seeing.

Thanks again!

Florida
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

My wife and I spent a total of 8 days in Barcelona and 5 days in Madrid. Loved both places. Took the Renfe high speed train from Barcelona and back. Used the 5 day metro passes for subways, trams, and buses in both cities. Used taxis only from the airport and train station to and from our rental apartments. Once you become familiar with the public transportation you can get anywhere in just a few minutes. Both cities are ultra modern, clean, and a pleasure to walk around in. If you only have a few days I would not bother making trips to outlying areas and other cities. Takes to long and, everything that you would want to see is located in these two major cities. The only thing that I would advise is that you eat in modern restaurants, drink only bottled water although the public water is safe in both cities, and wash your hands consistently. If you have drinks in a bar or club make sure the ice in the drinks comes from bottled water as you don't know where the ice came from. Other than that, have a great time in one of the nicest countries of the world.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

You want two cities in seven nights and any of the three you mention could cover seven nights (although I am not sure about Barcelona in December). I would strongly disagree with Dave H about not making trips. If you concentrate on Madrid you can easily reach Toledo, Segovia, Aranjuez, Alcala de Henares, Escorial, Avila and others which in December might be a good idea. By the way December in Madrid can be decidedly cold.

If you choose Màlaga you can easily reach Cordoba and Granada where you will probably find snow on the Alhambra. Màlaga being much milder in the day but cool at night.

Most bars now have ice delivered from a factory and the tap water is fine, although bottled water is freely available. If you are worried about your hands buy a gel from Mercadone supermarket,, very cheap, and easier than using the cold water in every loo. I find the advice to eat in modern restaurants odd. Many of the best places are pretty old and the hygiene depends on the staff. I've seen some pretty awful MacDonalds.

Florida
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

Clarification with regard to my message.

I advised visiting Barcelona and Madrid only due to the amount of time involved. If one tries to take in too much, in a short period of time, you will spend most of your time getting there and back. Barcelona and Madrid are adventurous enough for a young couple on their honeymoon, believe me.

By modern restaurants I meant clean restaurants with modern facilities.

I advise using bottled water for anyone from the United States or Canada. Although the public water in Spain is treated and is relatively safe, drinking it is obviously a big change to your system. I don't drink water from the tap even in the United States.

Everyone, these days, should worry about cleaning their hands often. 90% of all diseases are transmitted through the hands. My wife and I carry a package of antiseptic towels with us when we go out in public and use them before we eat and at other optimum times.

6. Re: Honeymoon in Spain (December 2013)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:17