We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

In late September my wife and I are visiting Spain for our 25th anniversary - first time in Spain. We will have 18 days there. We would really appreciate your feedback - thoughts, suggestions, modifications, must see places to visit/see/eat - on this itinerary we have penciled:

24SEP - arrive Madird in PM. Staying two nights

26SEP - rent car and drive to Toledo. 1 nt.

27SEP - drive to Cordoba. 1 nt.

28SEP - drive to Estepona. Staying 7 nts at beach resort

05OCT - drive to Granada. Stay 1 nt.

06OCT - drive to Denia. Stay 2 nts. ? not sure about this area is worth visiting?

08OCT - drive to Barcelona. Stay 4 nts.

12OCT - Depart for home

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

I'd add a night in Seville, drop Denia and maybe add one night in Valencia.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Should you want to visit The Alhambra in Granada, you need two nights in Granada.

Alhambra tickets www.ticketmaster.es www.granadainfo.com/alhambra

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 02 August 2013, 00:26
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Tropical:

Read the Driving Guide for Foreigners.

Denia has little to offer travelers except its beach.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

While in Estepona you can make a day trip to Ronda. I have been recently to Estepona and was surprised how beautiful it is now.

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Another vote for Seville and skip Denia.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,876 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

I may even suggest that the drive plan from Madrid to Estepona could be a little boring and that when you are ready to leave Madrid after having been to Toledo from Atocha station on the very nice train service and spent an exhausting day sightseeing you could take the train down to Seville ....this is the flagship route for train services. You may even try your luck at booking train tickets now and you may find some bargain cheapies which are Promo fares. For example I can see some Preferente seats (like first class) going for about €75 for Madrid to Seville on the Friday around 1pm and 2 pm. Spend the night in Seville old barrio Santa Cruz and warm to the city. Then if you have to leave take a rental car from the station (Santa Justa) the one you arrived at then drive down to Estepona.

Use the car in Southern Andalucia for making some trips before heading over to Granada and then maybe Valencia before returning the car. Then take the train from Valencia to Barcelona - a nice 3 hours journey with dirt cheap Preferente seats of less than €30. A bargain and more relaxing on this sector. The train drops you right in the city !

There are oodles of notes about the pitfalls of buying Spanish rail tickets online - see right hand column--and I have a theory. Use the RENFE web site before lunch when booking from the west coast of America. Or a short link to the notes is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

If you really want to see Cordoba and it was not penciled in because of the road map the you could still do it. The Madrid-Seville train stops at Cordoba !

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

One of the problems people from the US and Canada seem to have when booking tickets on line for trains is that their card companies block their credit cards. Make sure they are aware that you are going away to Spain and need to use your cards abroad or you may have trouble getting anything.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

We are going to Spain inOctober and booked our train tickets from BCN to Madrid and Madrid to Malaga on the Renfe site and had no problems. I guess we were lucky!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,876 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

winthroplass...did you book them in the morning when Spain was awake?

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Thanks everyone for the great tips! Keep 'em coming!

I hope I can reciprocate. If anyone needs tips about Canada or Panama I've lived in both and traveled extensively throughout.

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
285 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on Southern Spain Itinerary

Hi

We stayed in the Costa De La Luz area in May this year and Seville is a must for me so much that I am going back next year. Gibraltar is also a great place to visit. Cadiz is one place that I didnt visit but on the list for next year. There is so much to see and I am sure you will have a great time whatever you decide to do. Have fun.

Regards