We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

As I will be driving from Barcelona to the Costa del Sol - there are so many places to choose. I will be flying out of Malaga but was not planning on staying there until I started reading the forums...the reason for my trip is to look at real estate along the coast and inland- I am trying to get a feel for the area. Should I split my time between all three cities or am I trying to do too many things?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I thought I would spend at least one night in Valencia on the way down...Thank you!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

You could do all three but it depends on how much time you're going to spend in Malaga, its definitely a place to explore and is a wonderful city. Marbella is only about an hour away driving and you can spend a day there looking around (its a town not a City). Cadiz is further on and will take around 2½hrs so you could drive there and perhaps have an overnight stay there as well or travel there by train from Malaga.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

Hi Alicia

Me, I'm a Cádiz person.

Is the property you are considering purchasing to be your home or a holiday home and if it is a holiday home do you intend renting it out or do you intend it to be for your own sole use? These are questions which you need to have some sort of an answer to before you embark on your voyage of discovery. I think you also need to have an idea as to what sort of place you want the property to be in. Is it a busy touristy place or somewhere quieter, is it to be close to the coast or away from the coast.

I spend two weeks each year in Chiclana de la Frontera which is just south of Cádiz city but I also get to spend four weeks in Olvera which is one of the pueblos blancos (white towns) inland. The range of choice is simply immense. Can I suggest that to drive all the way from Barcelona is quite an undertaking. Unless you want to stop off anywhere between Barcelona and Valencia I would be inclined to take the train. Again from Valencia to Málaga this is a four and a half hour drive. As CJB says Marbella is just along the road from Málaga but Cádiz will be a good two and a half hours further on. You haven't said how many nights you will be in Spain, perhaps you are coming for an extended stay and the driving will not be too tiring.

A little more information and I think we can all be of more help to you.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

Alicia:

It depends on how much time you have. All three cities are worth seeing.

4. Re: Malaga, Marbella, Cadiz or all?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:21