We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
216 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

I have a quick weekend in Southern spain.

Arrive on a Friday morning at Malaga airport at 8am and I fly out that Sunday from Madrid at 8pm... I have a car... So help me plan my quick trip. I want to see some culture and history. I was thinking of a stop at Granada and maybe Ronda . So what should I do and where should I spend Friday and Saturday nights.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

1travel:

Read the Driving Guide for Foreigners.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book very early.

Ronda is a wonderful town that is unforgettable. The views there are breathtaking. You may want to spend the night there.

Mentioned in this post
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
216 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

So one night in Ronda and one night Granada. Any other sites in between those cities and Madrid

Mentioned in this post
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Madrid
Madrid
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

Don't know if the time will accommodate more. There's Cordoba for the Mezquita (and Hotel Eurostar Maimonides). Ronda and Granada will be treats. If you like sampling travel luxury, drive through Loja on the way to/from Granada. There's a Hotel Barcelo la Bobadilla with beautiful views of Andalucia (warning: may close during Winter). Hotels in Ronda: Don Miguel alongside the gorge or the San Francisco for good value.

Mentioned in this post
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

From Málaga airport drive straight up to Granada - try and get into the Alhambra for the Friday afternoon. Enjoy Granada on the Friday evening. Drive to Ronda for lunch on the Saturday, and then on to Córdoba to see the Mezquita on the Saturday afternoon. Enjoy Córdoba on the Saturday evening.

Both Granada and Córdoba are spectacular at night.

Drive up to Madrid on the Sunday morning, and have a look around before leaving from Barajas.

You get to see two of the world's top 10 must-see historic buildings in a quick weekend - can't be bad!

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

Not sure given the amount of driving the Ronda leg worthwhile, a 240 mile round trip, whereas Granada to Cordoba just 100 miles.

You have then Cordoba to Madrid at 250 miles on the Sunday, although all motorway though, your still talking about a 4 hour trip with parking.

Often hire companies charge extra for a different drop off location, suggest view Cordoba - malaga on Saturday night return car and then take AVE high speed train Malaga to Madrid in 2 and half hours, right in the centre, wander round and leisure and then get a taxi to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Madrid
Madrid
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

PWMW:

I first saw the Hotel Barcelo la Bobadilla in Loja about 25 years ago. I was very impressed with the Mudejar architecture of the hotel. From what I read, this is one of the favorite places that the Japanese use to get married in Spain today. Prominent Spanish men enjoy going there because it is a very discreet place where they can go with their girlfriends without press coverage. If I were to make a list of the 10 most beautiful hotels in Spain, I would include this hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
7. Re: Help me plan a long weekend - arriving in Malaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:17