We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

Hello All,

We're arriving into Malaga airport and making our way by Hire Car to Nerja but one would assume that picking up our Self Catering supplies would be better in Malaga with bigger Supermarkets and/or choice.

I see there's a Carrefour near the airport, just off the Motorway and we like Carrefour as we like the French ones.

Is there any other suggestions people would have to stop and pick stuff up?

Thanks in advance.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

To be honest it's really not worth making the time or effort for any detour. Nerja has a large SuperSol and a reasonably large Mercadona, plus plenty of smaller shops around town.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

As NSG says. There are a lot of supermarkets in Nerja itself. If you are keen on Carrefour, then there is one just off the freeway in Rincón de la Victoria, on your way to Nerja:

ccrincondelavictoria.com/castellano/como_lle…

(unfortunately the location map of the shopping mall is only in Spanish)

Edited: 13 September 2013, 08:27
3. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 09:11
Edited: 13 September 2013, 09:11
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

"Sorry I removed my previous post. First edit included bad results from Google and I couldn't edit it twice. Anyway here is my reply."

I'm only keen on Carrefour because I'm aware its a Hypermarket. We may need stuff that we cannot bring as we are flying hand baggage only and a Hypermarket will have better choice and prices over a smaller store, even if Nerja has lots of them.

That, Rincón de la Victoria, is a good location for us. I've decided that we will not drive the A7 Motorway at all as we have a number of hours to kill before we can get into our apartment so will casually drive along the coastal roads instead soaking up the culture. I'm bringing my own Sat Nav as well.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

shortened link to above: http://tinyurl.com/oy5ebxy or to the link that was there before the edit/removal LOL.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 09:16
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

Well the coastal road is certainly relaxing if you have the time since it is sooooo slow :)

In that case there are a lot of Mercadona supermarkets on the way where you can easily stop; there is no need to go so up north to the shopping centre I mentioned. You have one in Torre del Mar (Avenida de Andaluciía -which is the name that the coastal road takes in this town-) or in Torrox Costa, even nearer Nerja.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

I only just found the Mercadona in Nerja whilst searching for Parking as it had an Underground. Even though it's more central I'd still prefer to go to an out of town one with easier parking access and more choice.

Thanks mantalk for the link. The original link I had was half the page. LOL I had to include a diversion on the route because as far as the Roads in Malaga and Google are concerned there is a problem around El Candao where there is ONLY motorways across a few KMs so it was sending me inland adding around 30kms to the trip.

MACPollo, I don't mind the Journey being long. I drive for a living at home and will enjoy watching the world slowly moving by in my little Fiat 500(or similar).

Back to finding parking near my destination is next on my agenda so. Hard to know until we get there because I assume that a warm October will still be fairly busy so hard to find parking.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

A new Mercadona has recently opened in Algarroba Costa, it is the largest in Malaga province, you will pass it on the N340 coastal road.

noticiasmercadona.es/mercadona-en-algarrobo-…

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

nobody seems to have mentioned the Eroski hypermarket at El Ingenio. Has something happened to it. I would have thought it a perfect answer to the problem, just off the main road, plenty of coffee shops etc if you have time to kill and a Dunnes store to make the OP feel at home and offer a much better clothing range than Carrefour for a light packer. The hypermarket is as big as the Carrefour ones and usually has a better selection of more familiar goods. But not mentioned so has it closed or changed in some way?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big/Best/Recommened Supermarket

Eroski at El Ingenio is just the same, I was there this morning. As it is just off the motorway and the OP says he doesn't want to go on this road, perhaps put people off recommending. It is a bit fiddly to get to off the N340 if you don't know the way, but he does have SatNav though