We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

I am trying to book Ave train from Barcelona to Malaga on a Friday the Renfe site keeps saying there are no direct trains. I am using dates 50 to 62 dates in advance for the cheaper rates. What am I doing wrong? Could they have stopped the AVE service from BCN to Malaga?? I hope not!!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

Currently only available to the 11th Jan 14. Oddly, they are often quite slow in loading timetables/fares. The 62 day rule seems not to be a hard and fast rule. Not just the route want either. Patience needed, keep checking back regularly.

Personally www.vueling.com would be my choice, rather than a 6 hour train ride.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

mimiccr:

Mantalk is correct. This year Renfe has been very late publishing their schedules and you just have to check every day. I think they are late because they are trying to save money by eliminating many routes which have few passengers.

I fly Vueling very often and it is a very good low cost airline and I have never had any problem with them. Their fares depend on the day of the week and you can get some bargains if your schedule is flexible.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 04:02
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

Thanks Mantalk and Benny: It's still early and I just used some dummy dates in early January and the times and prices are coming up. We really want the train as we are 2 senior couples and want to relax and read and talk and just chil on the journey. We will have more than carry-ons (but not huge luggage), and we have two transatlantic flights coming and going and really don't want to fly within Spain. Now one more question: I see there are the Mesa prices for 4 tickets. Are these seats really terrible? D H and I don't mind riding backwards but do want reasonable leg room. Is the price I'm seeing now of 46.75 euro for all 4 persons? Sounds too good to be true!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

mimiccr:

I have ridden using the mesa seat several times because that was the only seat available and it is not bad.

If you are 4 it allows you to talk to all of them. The price of 46.75 is for each person.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

We traveled in the Mesa class 2 years ago from BCN to Malaga on the AVE--we also were two couples traveling together. It was very enjoyable! A nice tour of the countryside, a smooth ride, and ease of conversation--we filled a small collapsible cooler with our snacks and enjoyed lunch with our purchass from LaBoqueria. Stress free, except for the part where we were told to wait far from where the train actually stopped to board passengers. This spring we will fly on Vueling from Malaga to Barcelona to connect with our flight back to the states; I'm already anxious about delays, security checks, picking up baggage, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide. And have a wonderful trip!

6. Re: Question for Benny re BCN Ave train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17