We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
487 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

It may seem a bit premature to be thinking of these details so far in advance of our May trip, but I'd like to get them straightened out. Benny, you and another poster clarified that the 62 day rule is not a hard and fast one. Seville to Malaga fares are only posted now for 46 days out when I do a dummy-date check. Is the Tarjeta Dorada only for residents of Spain? It offers quite a savings--when I look at the 25%-40% (depending on days & trains), it's close in price to the Promo price. My husband and I are old enough to qualify but we are US citizens. My other question is about the route to Leila Playa, which I think is in Calahonda, pretty close to Marbella. (Yes? No?) We will arrive by train from Seville; one week later we will need to get to the airport to catch a Vueling flight that leaves Malaga at 7 AM. We were at AGP 2 years ago early on a Saturday and I remember that there were no agents there early. What about baggage check-in? Flight check-in? That flight is supposed to arrive in Barcelona at 8:30, and I am hoping that is enough time to catch our 10:25 flight back home. I am wondering if I made a mistake by flying out of Malaga on Saturday morning instead of Friday evening, but since we're booked at Leila Playa for a week, I didn't want to double book a room AND pay the higher Friday airfare. I guess I need some reassurance that this will work out. (Is it a long trip by bus/train from Leila Playa to the airport?) Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Marbella Playa Hotel
Marbella Playa Hotel
1,176 Reviews
Marbella, Spain
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

In 25 F of the guide for buying RENFE tickets it includes the following

"People who are not Spanish citizens or residents should take their passports with them to buy the Tarjeta Dorada. The card can be acquired by foreigners and non-residents"

I am a UK resident and use the Tarjeta Dorada card.

As for the transfer that would need to be answered by someone who has knowledge of this.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,977 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Hi Sharon, I can only help with the Leila Playa question I'm afraid. Yes it is in Sitio de Calahonda which is in between Fuengirola and Marbella. You can get the train to Fuengirola and then either a bus or taxi to Leila Playa (its about 45 mins or so from Malaga airport). I would suggest getting the train and then the taxi from Fuengirola to get to the resort, as the bus stop for Leila Playa is on the opposite side of the motorway to the resort it would be easier to get the taxi. On the way back, the bus stops almost immediately outside the LP entrance that goes to Fuengirola station. There is an express bus from the airport to Marbella but I don't think it stops near to Calahonda.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info on Sitio de Calahonda have a look at the SdC forum where there is lots of information and feel free to ask questions.

Calahonda is about 25 mins from Marbella by car but a bit longer by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Marbella Playa Hotel
Marbella Playa Hotel
1,176 Reviews
Marbella, Spain
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Thank you, ceejay and Cadiz lover--Both of you offer great info and help me put this puzzle together. (I usually enjoy trip planning, but this time we are traveling for a full month--many details to unravel!) Thanks again! Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,483 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Sharon:

You can go to the Renfe station and buy the tarjeta dorada for 5.15 euros by showing your passport.

I have had a flight from the Malaga Airport at 7 am and there were agents 2 hours before.

Mentioned in this post
RENFE
RENFE
316 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Thank you, Benny. I'm happy to know that the agents will be there early. Your answer combined with the other two have gone a long way to piece together necessary details. As time gets closer, I know I will have more questions after I reread all the information I have gathered. Thank you for your help, this time and on our last trip, too! It is Thanksgiving Day in the USA and the TA forum is something I'm very grateful for. Sharon

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,977 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Happy Thanksgiving Sharon. I'm glad our tips are helping you to plan your holiday.

CJB

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

In Portugal now with a couple of weeks til our much anticipated time at Leila playa -- question: any idea of taxi fare between Fuengirola train station and the Leila Playa resort? We will have travelled from Seville to Malaga Marie Zambrano and then to Fuengirola; ceejay suggested a taxi to LP, which seems like a good idea with luggage and a busy roadway. And question two, on the return route, how much time to allow for the bus & train back to Marie Zambrano station? ( we have tickets for a 9:15 train to Cordoba.) your help so far has been invaluable! Modified our plan based upon it, including taking the train from cordoba to Barcelona on Friday to be sure we catch our Sat. Flight back to the U.S. thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Marbella Playa Hotel
Marbella Playa Hotel
1,176 Reviews
Marbella, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,977 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Glad you've been enjoying your trip so far. The taxi from Fuengirola to Leila Playa will probably be around €40+, they have to go up the road past LP to go round the next cambio de sentido and then back on itself. My last taxi (a few years ago) from Fuengirola to LP missed the turning and we ended going up as far at the Puerto Cabopino turning!

On the way back the bus stops right outside LP and the first bus is at around 7.15am (can't find the time from LP itself but one leaves Marbella bus station at around 6.45am so while you are at LP have a look at the timetable on the bus stop just to make sure of the timings. It takes about 40mins to Fuengirola bus station I think (not timed it as got absorbed in watching the view LOL!), bus station to train station about 5 mins if that and the train to Maria Zambrano is around 45 mins. You might want to think about getting a taxi back to Fuengierola as timings could be very tight.

Mentioned in this post
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Marbella Playa Hotel
Marbella Playa Hotel
1,176 Reviews
Marbella, Spain
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Thank you, ceejay. The ride is a bit longer than I thought. A taxi sounds like a good idea--just hope we don't go all the way to Cabopina like you did--but we might not even know! I just emailed LP to see if the could recommend a transport company--it seems to me that I read something somewhere along the way, but it might have been a different resort. Sharon.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,977 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renfe prices, Tarjeta Dorada + route to Leila Playa

Not sure who LP would recommend but I think there are lots of reputable companies, transfersdelsol.com, malagaminisbus.com are two of the ones that people recommend. I'll have a look on the facebook page of LP and Dona Lola and see if there are any recommendations there and let you know.