We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering provision shopping?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering provision shopping?

Coming in mid Jan and love experimenting with buying and cooking local produce. We both fond of seafood and steak plus usual tapas items like squid etc. Any suggestions of where to buy? We very central and close to the market which will be no. 1 on my list and may be sufficient for a short stay of 5 nights. Just wondered if there any other gems.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

Are you staying in Malaga City itself?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

Hello there. Yes appartments Debambu in Cinteria 7. Very central I believe. Thank you.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

Unfortunately I've never stayed in the City itself but there are lots of great bars and restaurants around and I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you more advice on the shopping areas. I do know, however, that you will find lots of great food of all kinds in the market and you will have some wonderful fresh ingredients to try your cooking skills out on.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

We also like to self cater when on holidays.

During our stay in Malaga we used the supermarket at the bottom floor of El Corte Ingles. This is situated on the block of Calle Hilera and Av. Andalucía which is located about 500metres from your accommodation.

The produce was of superb quality and prices where reasonable.

We love Malaga and had a great time where we stayed in the historical Centre 20 metres from the Cathedral.

We hope that you also have a great time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

You will be withing 200 metres of the municipal market called Atarazanzas on the street of the same name. Look at You Tube and insert "Mercado de Atarazanas" for an idea of the foodstuffs on sale.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

For five days the market should be enough, you'll spend most of one morning just walking round it salivating!

It so dominates food shopping in central Málaga that otherwise there are only small supermarkets although some good bread and cake shops very close by. I can't imagine there will be anything in El Cortes Ingles worth going for if you are only around for five days and it will be expensive. Alternatives are a LIDL just by the 'Home' part of El Corte Ingles and an Eroski hypermarket in the Larios Centre.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 11:29
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

Thank you very much Sounds great. I adore large markets with all the fresh produce, meats and fish. That's why we are self catering so can make the most of it! We are Lidlites as well. Much appreciated.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

The El Corte Ingles Supermarket is the best supermarket in the city.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

Great - we will be there! Many thanks again.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering provision shopping?

I myself always buy most of things at the central market (Atarazanas) which is where you can the local things. To buy wine and groceries ECI is a good option.

If you are interested in recipes of local Spanish dishes let me know.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 08:03