We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga to Tarifa - please help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga to Tarifa - please help!

Hola,

I will be in Malaga from 20th - 23rd May 2014. Then on Saturday 24th May I want to travel to Fes in Morocco via FRS ferry from Tarifa.

1) I want to catch the FRS ferry from Tarifa to Tangier Ville at 9:00am. I understand I will arrive in Tangier at 9:00am (Moroccan time).

2) I want to catch the train from Tangier directly to Fes at 10:40am.

3) My problem is working out how do I get from Malaga to Tarifa using public transport? I need to be in Tarifa at least 1 hour before the FRS ferry departs (so prior to 8am, but I would prefer to be there before 7:30am just to be safe). I've checked out the TGComes website, however there are limited DIRECT busses from Malaga to Tarifa. Some busses take 4 hours, whereas the direct bus takes 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I am having some difficulty with the bus timetables and would greatly appreciate any advice. How can I get from Malaga to Tarifa before 7:30am on Saturday 24th May?

Thank you :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga to Tarifa - please help!

Am surprised if a bus can travel from Malaga to Tarifa in 1 hr 45 mins as the distance is 160kms. It would seem that an overnight in Tarifa is the best solution thus allowing you a selection of buses for the trip.

You can also get to Algeciras where FRS also has a base at the port and ticketing for ferries to Tanger-Med and Ceuta. They also provide transport to Tarifa for their passengers however you will need to check with them.

At Algeciras bus station itself you can change for a local COMES bus to Tarifa, siu.ctmcg.es/en/horarios_corredor.php…

There may be other options for buses to Algeciras like AVANAZA PORTILLO. The earliest bus leaving Malaga at this time of year is at 05:00 and it reaches Algeciras at 07:45 which is of course no good for yourself.

In my experience it is too early to look for all the bus information however rest assured that you can reach Tarifa on the previous evening so I would consider the overnight their.

Maybe others may know something more.

A fairly recent phenomenon is car sharing in Spain and you never know but perhaps you can find a lift !

http://www.blablacar.com/search-car-sharing

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga to Tarifa - please help!

Thank you Cadiz_Lover!

You're right, it was the direct Malaga - Algeciras bus that took 1 hour and 45 minutes. NOT, the direct Malaga to Tarifa bus

(www.hispalense.com/en/bus-malaga-tarifa.html)

I know it's early to book the busses, I'm just trying to work out how long it will take to get from place to place using public transport. Now with your suggestions I will tweak my itinerary.....

My time in Spain involves:

3 nights in Seville

3 nights in Granada (including a day tip hiking in Sierra Nevada)

3 nights in Malaga (with day trips to Ronda and Nerja)

I have one night left and have to make my way down to Tarifa. Should I go directly to Tarifa and spend the night there so I can catch the FRS ferry or is there another place/town that I should visit and then make my way from there to Tarifa?

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you :)

3. Re: Malaga to Tarifa - please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18