We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

Someone has suggested that while in Spain we should plan a day trip to the Spanish enclaves of Melila and Ceuta. I am sure that I researched this a while back and found that the ferry from Malaga to Melila takes about 4 hours, so there were hardly be enough time to return the same day. I haven't found much about Ceuta except that the ferry leaves from Algeciras. Does anyone know the details of the time of this crossing and if Ceuta is even worth the visit. As with all travels there never seems to be enough time but would like to know if anyone recommends these visits. Let me know. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

Spriglet:

You cannot do these cities as a day trip from Malaga. I have gone to Melilla and it took 3 hours on the ship. There were many things to see there, such as the castle and hundreds of modernist buildings. We spent 3 days there.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

You can fly from Málaga to Melilla which would allow you to do a day trip (I do this very often but for business trips) since it only takes 45 minutes.

Flights with Iberia (www.iberia.com) start at around 100 €.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

If enclaves are your thing then Gibraltar is MUCH more interesting, and the scenery much more dramatic!

Mentioned in this post
Worcestershire UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

We did a day trip from Torremolinos to Ceuta about 3 years ago and it is certainly possible. The drive down to the port near Gibraltar is about 90 minutes, Parking near ferryport is free and the crossing just over an hour.There is nothing particularly dramatic about it as a destination, but if you havn't ever set foot in Africa, its a chance to tick that box. There is a return crossing about 4/5 hours later which is just about time to see averything. We were back by about 8 pm. Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

The friend who suggested it hasn't set foot in Africa. I think this may have been his motivation. He regrets that he couldn't make the trip when he was in Spain. We have been to Africa twice, South Africa Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe the first time Kenya and Tanzania the second and are now planning on South Africa and Namibia in the fall. Melilla seems to have more to offer in sightseeing than Ceuta but the ferry ride is much longer and we would need to stay over at least one night. Uf we fly it is quite expensive. We might have to give this a miss.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,895 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

Technically I think the Spanish would call both places Spain and not Africa, bit like the UK with Gibraltar, its not Europe or Spain its British. Wouldn't have thought a day trip could give you much of the African experience and as you've already seen a lot of Africa, I'm sure you won't miss it by not going.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

I suppose if setting foot in geographical Africa is on the bucket-list then why not? Although going to Morocco might be easier (and perhaps slightly more 'north African').

If you want a real sense of geographical location then go to Gib., stay in the Rock Hotel and have a decent G & T on the balcony of your room whilst watching the sun set behind the Pillars of Hercules......with hundreds of ships passing through.....as the lights come on in Spain (Europe), Morocco (Africa) and Gibraltar (Britain!).

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Spain
Spain
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

I think by Africa we were talking about the continent of Africa, even though Melilla and Ceuta are European. We are visiting Gibraltar but just for the day. It sounds pretty neat the way you describe sitting on the balcony of the Rock Hotel and watching the sun set. We can't make that work either as we have booked and paid for our three nights in Torremolinos. Many said Gibraltar wasn't worth the time but we couldn't miss a chance at that. Too much history there. As always too many things to see and not enough time. Maybe we will get a chance to pass this way again.

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
9. Re: Spanish Enclaves of Melila and Ceuta - worth a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18