We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

Kernow-T
Level Contributor
478 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

Living in Cornwall, ease/price of travel often influences on where to holiday. We are able to fly from Exeter to Malaga (10 days) relatively cheaply and would like to sample a few different places between those dates.

Does the following sound viable/good (we are 26 and 32) and in a typical 10 day holiday like a good mix of physical activities/excursions, a day or two sightseeing, a couple of lazy beach days plus a couple of late (letting the hair down) nights out.

We'd like to land in Malaga and have a few nights in that area (doesn't have to be Malaga, anywhere there's lovely beaches and decent value food/accommodation) Recommendations gladly received.

Then perhaps a few nights in the Seville area (again doesn't have to be Seville itself) though the same priorities apply (value, beach, good food/drink). I hear Seville is beautiful with a good mix of relaxation and partying opportunities, would this be correct? Also, is Cadiz highly recommended. I would consider hiring a car though most seem to favour train/bus transport - again, advice appreciated.

We would then head back towards Malaga for the last 2 or so nights before flying home.

I'd really appreciate some advice on accommodation/must-sees. I know my wife would also like to include a morning's horse-riding.

I know it's a lot to ask and we're trying to squeeze quite a lot in. Any advice on the sort of thing I'm proposing would be greatly appreciated, particularly accommodation (hotel/area) recommendations.

Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Kernow-T
Level Contributor
478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

Just to add - We are open to staying in Malaga and local area or travelling anywhere within the area (within a few hours travel from Malaga) if it's really worth it.

Many thanks, T

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,977 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

I'd suggest staying in the Torremolinos area, good rail link to Malaga and to Benalmadena and Fuengirola with a good bus service along the coast too. It can be worth hiring a car if there you don't want to be tied to timetables etc.

Places I would recommend are:

Malaga City - a must

Ronda - a great day

Mijas/Fuengirola - worth a day

Granada (Alhambra) - great day, book tickets for Alhambra in advance

Seville (not been but on my bucket list)

Marbella - good beach, nice old town

I'm sure you will find others will give more recommendations but there are some wonderful places to visit on the Costa Del Sol so you will have a great time.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 20:13
Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Benalmadena
Benalmadena
Costa del Sol, Spain
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Mijas
Mijas
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Seville
Seville
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

I disagree with a number of these recommendations but firstly let's make it clear that Seville doesn't have a beach, It is a city built along a river and there some nice banks but not for swimming from!

Málaga is a must. So is Seville.The other top cities easily reachable are Cadiz and Jerez from Seville. Cordoba from either Seville or Málaga. Granada from Málaga.If you have never been I would add Gibraltar to this list. I have always thought Ronda over rated and full of tourists and not worth the day it would take to do it from anywhere unless you have a month to fit it all in. I like Mijas and Fuengirola but again not a priority in ten days. Málaga city itself has some good beaches but if you prefer a 'proper' resort then Torremolinos. If you stay on the Bajondillo side (i.e. not Carihuela) you have the biggest concentration of water activities and volleyball and the widest beaches. it also is the easiest to access the railway at either los Álalmos or la Colina although Torremolinos centre would be OK. Ten minute trek to the beach but seconds to the bus/rail stations.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Jerez
Jerez
213 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Mijas
Mijas
Costa del Sol, Spain
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Bajondillo Apartments
Bajondillo Apartments
1,514 Reviews
Torremolinos, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,483 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

Kernow:

You do not need to rent a car. Parking at hotels will cost you at least 11 euros a day. Buses and trains are recommended.

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Stay in Malaga City because it is the transportation hub of the province. From Malaga do a day trip to Ronda and another to Mijas Pueblo by bus. Read about these day trips on the top questions on the right panel of this page.

Take the bus to Granada and stay 2 days. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY. A good hotel downtown is the Vincci Albayzin.

Take the train to Seville and stay 3 days. A good hotel is the Hotel Becquer, walkable to most sights. You can do a day trip to Cadiz if you want.

Some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them the Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. The city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Shopping is wonderful and most stores are walkable from downtown. Downtown has Calle Larios, Calle Nueva, and Calle Granada and surrounding streets, with many boutiques. El Corte Ingles is a large department store near downtown. Two shopping malls near downtown are the Larios Center and Vialia.

Good hotels in good locations:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – Good location near Calle Larios. The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – Good location near Calle Larios with parking. The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

4-star: Hotel NH Malaga – Good hotel with a large parking space.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro – Older hotel near Calle Larios.

2-star: Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Mijas Pueblo
Mijas Pueblo
Mijas, Spain
Granada
Granada
Vincci Albayzin
Vincci Albayzin
1,172 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Seville
Seville
Hotel Becquer
Hotel Becquer
4,999 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Carmen
Carmen
215 Reviews
Turin, Italy
Alcazaba
Alcazaba
8,379 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Muelle Uno
Muelle Uno
298 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
La Concepcion
La Concepcion
292 Reviews
Segovia, Spain
Europe
Europe
World
Mijas
Mijas
Costa del Sol, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
El Corte Ingles
El Corte Ingles
236 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Vincci Malaga
Vincci Malaga
1,128 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Hotel Molina Lario
Hotel Molina Lario
2,042 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
NH Malaga
NH Malaga
1,359 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Don Curro Hotel
Don Curro Hotel
1,323 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad
Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad
2,594 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
El Pimpi
El Pimpi
10,594 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
5. Re: 10-day Spain trip: Advice most welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:19