We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water safe?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Tap water safe?

Just came up in conversation that tap water abroad often not safe. I have been drinking tap water here with no repercussions. Assume it is safe therefore. Am I right or just lucky!

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap water safe?

The tap water is perfectly safe to drink, in fact I never buy bottled water. There is a difference though, I believe it has more minerals in it (someone may correct me on this). The only exception is for babies, where bottled water is best.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water safe?

Tap water is perfectly safe to drink in Spain. It may taste different to what you are used to in the UK, and you might not like it (or you might like it more, who knows), but there are no hazards to your health.

It is true that you should avoid tap water in some countries (I for one I'm currently in Lagos, Nigeria for business, and I don't use tap water to drink here), but Spain is not one of those.

Some people have very easily affected stomachs, and might not tolerate well the different mix of microorganisms that thrive in tap water, no matter what country you are in.

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water safe?

I find that the local tap water makes dreadful tea so I buy bottled water just to get a decent brew!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water safe?

Tap water is safe in every country in Europe. EU standards are enforced everywhere.

Probably better in Malaga than in Essex, where muck from the Thames gets into everything.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water safe?

Yes as I would have thought but just raised the question. Luckily we don't drink from the Thames when home!

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water safe?

Agree with A Mike, making tea with tap water does not provide a good cup of tea, we always buy bottle water, at 65 cents for 5 litres not very expensive.

Have to say the water in Ibiza contains salt and I would say is undrinkable, as is the tap water in Leeds.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water safe?

Oh will try bottled water for my tea as its not been that great since here. Thanks guys.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap water safe?

I find the tap water in Torremolinos to be a bit unpredictable.with regard to added chlorine. Sometimes the kitchen smells like a swimming pool but we use a Brita filter and all is well.

There may be a problem in the summer when the desalination plants get going (if they need to) and the water then can be a bit unusual but I am sure perfectly safe.

I am told our water comes straight out of the mountains behind us so spring water which we are the first to use. No added hormones like London water.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap water safe?

Tap water was fine for us, but we also loved Lanjaron bottled water (and its beautiful glass bottles)!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap water safe?

All the tap water in Spain is safe. Every community has to meet safety standards that are enforced very strictly. Spain is a country in the first world.

People drink bottled water only if they prefer its taste.