We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Wanaque, New Jersey
Level Contributor
41 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Has anyone been charged for a 1mm dinge in the side door of a Hertz Megane. When we brought the car back to the airport, they found this mar and charged us 389 euros. When we consequently asked for a repair bill from Hertz Spain to forward to our insurance, they have ignored us. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they use a compound to cover this nick and repeat charging the customer. We used Hertz because we heard bad things about other companies at the airport and thought a US based company might be more reputable. I guess you have to beware of all car rentals at the Malaga airport. JC

32 replies to this topic
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Did you check if it was there when you accepted the car? If it was and you can prove it (we always take photos and videos of the inside and outside of cars before we take them and when we taken them back) then you can give that proof to Hertz and get a refund without having to involve the insurers. I would keep pushing for a breakdown of the costs and if necessary place it in the hands of your insurers and let them deal with it.

Hope that you manage to get it sorted.

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

We usually use AVIS but a "new" company was formed a year or two ago under the brand name and all the staff at Malaga airport seem to have been replaced. Their return office at Alicante airport tried to do a similar thing as happened to you to us some years ago (they claimed we had dented the car and we had not) with the result being that we have never returned to Alicante airport and always scrutinise the cars when we collect them. No problems to date since then. We will continue to use Avis until something untoward happens. I sincerely hope nothing will ever happen to dissuade us from using them.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

the companies have set charges for damage. estimates are provided by repairers for a schedule of items, and when damage is found, the companies are in a position to know the rough cost.

however, if you had taken out scdw, you would not have been charged anything!

ceejay. the ops insurers would have absolutely nothing to do with it. (unless the op had scdw with an independent insurer). I don't understand the ops comments that they want a breakdown for "their insurer". personal accident insurance would not cover it, neither would travel insurance, or own motor insurance etc.

maybe they believe that their cc insurance covers it, but that would not have been acceptable in spain.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

I thought they meant they had the excess insurance themselves, so you're right if they are trying to claim under their travel insurance they won't get anything.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Don't use Hertz - Malaga! The whole experience was awful

- waited 30 mins to get to front on ticketed queue. The screen showing who was next was broken and there was mutiny among the frustrated queuers being told they must have not seen their number come up. One customer came back to say that there was no car in bay 36 and was asked condescendingly and sarcastically whether she was sure - it then turned out that the staff had written down the wrong bay number.

- our car was not ready when we arrived, key was given to us 1 hour after reserved time

- vehicle had clearly been in an accident. There were dents and scratches all over, the wheel arch was heavily dented and hub cap was missing. There were so many dents and scratches that there were 'x's all over the car diagram

- On return they found a 1cm scratch on rear bumper that he claimed was not marked on rental document and charged me €90 for damages. This was an outrage given the state of the car. I had not damaged the car in any way. He said, and I quote, 'this is what happens when you don't take our insurance'. When I explained that I had taken out a 3rd party excess insurance for £6 (rather than €130 quoted by Hertz) he said 'Why are you worried, you have insurance'. This is an outrageous statement - why should the insurance company pay for fictitious damages?

I will be lodging a formal complaint with Hertz - I have photographic evidence of the state of the car.

My experience with Hertz was appalling from start to finish.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

unfortunately you are at the start of the busy season, so delays are only to be expected. personally, i realise this, and if i am delayed, i am just just patient. not worthy of a complaint!

then, all cars cannot be new and unmarked. the damage is done by other renters, and a rental company cannot be expected cars to be bought back to "as new" during the season, as the car would have to be out of use.

mark on bumper? if you did not notice this and point it out when picking up, then the company have to assume that it happened under your stewardship. if you feel that you did not cause the mark, and you have evidence to this effect, then ask your cc company to dispute.

however, as there is no personal excess on your scdw insurance, just send the invoice to your insurance company. you will not be out of pocket.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 15:18
Chislehurst, Kent
Level Contributor
1 post
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Are you some kind of professional lobbyist for Hertz? I can't believe you consider all the above a satisfactory level of service. I didn't write the review but I also a co-traveller and it was the worst experience i have ever seen at a car rental company, both on pick-up and return.

Actually, I withdraw that accusation in the first line. Having taken a look at your other posts, you are obviously a professional lobbyist for all car rental companies!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

sooooo! anyone who tries to explain a simple issue, is a "lobbyist"? grow up!

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

Thank you for this useful post.

Luckily we have had only positive experiences when renting car in Spain, but this gives us thought.

Thank you Nagagoli for your advice, but please clarify:

What exactly is:

scdw?

ops?

Also please what is the age limit for renting a car in Spain? I have an elderly relative who is planning to go there and rent a car next March, 2015. He'll be 75 and he speaks Spanish.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport

farsante. scdw is insurance cover for an excess. when you rent a car, you are usually provided with basic damage insurance under the title " collision damage waiver". however in most cases even if you have this, there is an excess. this usually varies between 1000€ and 2000€, depending on country and type of car. when you pick up the car, you would be asked if you want to buy "scdw" super collision damage waiver). if you do, then there will be NO excess and you are protected in full. if you dont purchase it, the company will put a hold on your cc for the amount of the excess and in event of damage, they have a right to use the hold,up to the amount of the limit.

ops, should have read op's, and op is just short for " original poster"

as regards age limit? different companies have different limits. some wont entertain drivers over 70, others dont care. when booking, read the terms and conditions. often the age limits are included in these. the problem is not really with the rental companies, but is due to their insurance companies limits.

Reply to: Beware of Hertz car rentals at Malaga Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted