We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

My husband and I are planning a trip to Malaga, Seville, Granada and surrounding areas for a week in September. The problem we have is that my husband only eats plain English foods. He likes steak, beef, chicken, fish and chips, and doesn't eat salads or paella or anything spicy. Can you please give me an idea of whether we will be best to be based in Malaga or somewhere else for the best choice in restaurants that have a varied menu, other than Spanish dishes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. We will of course be travelling each day so any advice in eating in Granada and Seville and maybe Cadiz would also help. Thank you

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

As a base, Benalmadena or Fuengirola i would say would have the most restaurants with the fare you are looking for.

You can click the restaurants tab within each forum (Granada, Seville etc) and "sort" the restaurants by cuisine which might help you refine your choice depending on the food your hubby like...!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Depends exactly where you are staying. Truly Spanish towns don't have many Brit bars and restaurants but you will find plenty of them in the resorts from Benalmadena up to Marbella. Spain is a country that loves its meat and you will find that the majority of Spanish restaurants serve steaks and most places will do fries!

Malaga City itself has a few American type fast food places including Taco Bell! However, most restaurants will be Spanish serving everything from Tapas to Paella and Suckling Pig and they also do deep fried fish. I'm not sure that Seville, Granada or Cadiz will have any Brit style restaurants and bars but I might be wrong - I'm sure someone will come along to confirm.

I think your best bet would be to base yourself somewhere like Fuengirola, it has lots of British bars and cafes but is also a working Spanish town with plenty of Spanish restaurants so that your husband could try the steaks (they are excellent in Spain) and you could have an authentic paella. Fuengirola is the last station on the line from Malaga City so you can get to Benalmadena, Torremolinos and Malaga very easily if you aren't hiring a car and the buses are cheap and regular.

Have a look on the other forums and feel free to ask more questions.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Many thanks for the advice, I had thought that might be the case. We are hiring a car so would be out travelling during the day and could then come back to somewhere that you suggest as a base for our dinner.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Thank you Ceejayblue for your help. We are not sure yet where we will be based but will be hiring a car so that will help getting around. Its good to hear there are plenty of places of restaurants serving steaks and even a few American type outlets in Malaga. We are interested in travelling down the coast to Cadiz and Gibraltar but also want to visit Ronda, Seville, Cordoba and Granada, so possibly one of the places you suggest would make a good base as the distances don't seem too far from there. It will probably be a bit harder at lunchtimes when we are further afield in Granada etc!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Hi MaggieAnn

We holiday in Cádiz and I rather suspect you will need to read menus carefully before selecting a restaurant for your husband. That said, pork is very popular in this area of Spain and beef steaks are quite delicious. The area is famous for its seafood.

If you visit Gibraltar you won't have a problem there. We have occasionally visited when the family need perfumes and aftershaves but haven't been in about three years. The restaurant we have used is the Lord Nelson Bar Brasserie at Casements Square. Here you will find typically British steak pie, burgers, fish 'n' chips etc along with apple pie and ice cream. Thankfully my family all prefer Mediterranean cuisine.

A side thought, if you are taking the car you are best to park it in La Línea de la Conceptíon and walk across the border. Have euro change for the parking meters. I don't remember it being expensive or my husband would have had a good moan. And don't forget your passports.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 28 January 2014, 16:47
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Hello CampsieClyde,

Thank you very much for your help. Yes we will definitely have to read all the menus carefully, will probably get a phrase book which will help. Good advice about leaving the car in the car park, do you have to walk very far over the border and on to the Rock, etc?

regards

MaggieAnn

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Hi MaggieAnn

The airstrip is right at the border so you require to cross that, don't worry it is all controlled by a very safe level crossing. If you have to stop to allow RAF jets to land or take off it is quite an experience, my boys were thrilled the one time this happened to us. Once through the border check points there are buses and taxis which will take you anywhere you want to go. It is probably about a mile from the parking at La Línea to this point so a pair of comfy walking shoes are the order of the day.

We have always just walked up to Casemates Square (sorry I said Casements in my last post, that is wrong) and to the shopping area, a good bit of exercise. From the street/metered parking on Av Principe de Asturias (adjacent to the marina) in La Línea to Casemates Square is under a mile and a half so probably about a 25 minute walk. However, if you are planning on doing the rock and the apes, etc I think I would take a bus. There are plenty of guided tours available also. Here is a link which might help you:

www.andalucia.com/searchresults.htm…

This is actually a website for information on Andalucía, if you go back to the home page you can then get information on all of the places in Cádiz, Málaga and Sevilla Provinces that interest you.

Lindsay

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Hi Lindsay,

Once again thanks very much for the help and advice which I am sure will come in very handy for our holiday.

MaggieAnn

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

You are very welcome.

Lindsay

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,407 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating advice for a trip to Malaga, Seville and Granada

Bear in mind parking is quite expensive in Malaga centre. Hotels will charge you at least 15€ per 24hrs or part of.

There is a lot of free parking in Benalmadena and in Fuengirola, both handy for the motorways. The motorway heading towards Marbella has a Toll road alternative, tolls between Malaga and La Linea/Gibraltar will cost around 12€ each way. You can keep to the coast rd free of charge.

Also be aware that some car hire suppliers dont allow their vehicles in to Gibraltar, so do make them aware if you do intend to drive over the border. I agree with the above posts re: parking in La Linea. You can get a bus as soon as you cross the border which takes you to Casemates Sq.