We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Malagueta Neighborhood

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Topic
La Malagueta Neighborhood

At the end of February I will be spending a week in Malaga.

I intend to explore the city thoroughly in the mornings and then be back in the La Malagueta and La Caleta neighborhoods in the mid-afternoon for a bite to eat. And to just enjoy the neighborhoods before going out for a late dinner each night.

I am especially intrigued by the chiringuito concept. Is late February to early in the season for these open-air restaurants? Are there any that are especially recommended? I've noticed one called El Cachalote on Google Maps that I will visit. But I'd really like to visit some of the very traditional, open-air ones where they are using a boat filled with sand to hold their fire. It sounds so authentic I can't resist.

Any suggestions for such a chiringuito in those two neighborhoods? Is there any suggested pubs one should stop in to get a late afternoon pint after beach-side espetos? Also, is there a particular difference between a marisqueria and a chiringuito?

And one last question: would a jacket normally be recommended for the nights in the last week of February?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,211 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Malagueta Neighborhood

Kerry:

The chiringuitos are usually closed in February and do not reopen until April, when it is warmer.

If you are at the Malagueta, take a short walk to Muelle Uno, where there are a dozen restaurants where you can eat.

February is quite cold and you do need a jacket all day.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Malagueta Neighborhood

I walked along Malagueta last Sunday and every chiringuito was open and busy. Sun was out and it was very pleasant. Some sunbathing going on and several groups of stripped off young men paying ball games. (The ladies a little more circumspect) It started to get colder about 4.30 but a pullover would have been enough.

I didn't notice any with the traditional boat outside, maybe it isn't a traditional fishing 'village'. Almost all the chiringuitos along the paseo in Torremolinos have these boats outside, at least on the original fishing village side of Bajondillo. makes me quite hungry when I walk into town even after a good breakfast!

To get to Torremolinos you can catch the 110 bus from the station by the port entrance or walk up the Alameda to the Cercanias station just in front of the CAC Art gallery.

We actually had lunch on Muelle Uno last Sunday, very busy with lots of families but the food is mostly really 'international' rather than traditional Spanish

Edited: 30 January 2014, 10:02
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Malagueta Neighborhood

We have friends who live in this area, certainly many chiringuito will be open, our favourite place in the area is El Tintero II at El Palo, you barter for your food is a marvelous experience.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: La Malagueta Neighborhood

Thank you for the responses, peeps!

Your insights are most appreciated.

5. Re: La Malagueta Neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:28