We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
85 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

When my cruise arrives at the end of May, I definitely want to go to Gibralfaro Castle, and then work my way down to the Alcazaba. Looking at a google map, it looks like this could be a long walk. If you don't walk, is there another way (cheaper) besides a taxi? Thanks, jonathan

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

Jon:

Take the bus.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-d244000/Malag…

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

We walked it. Up and down. It's certainly a trek, but we had nothing better to do, and all day to do it! :-)

Some decent stop off points, with great photo opportunities for the port, the city, and the bull ring. But it does get steep, for the most part, and its winding, rather than straight up there.

A little café at the top, where we sat and had a well earned cold drink, sat on the wall for a breather..... and watched as the open top tourist bus turned up!! LOL

Looking back, I'd say it was enjoyable, and I don't see why we wouldn't do it again, in all honesty, even now knowing we could get the bus up there. But yes, you do know you've done it.... next morning! :-)

We are holiday strollers, and far from hikers, and are each a tad either side of our 50th.

Oh... and we weren't the only ones, of course.

Go for it, I'd say.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 20:19
England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

There's a lift from the road between the Ayuntamiento and the Alcazaba which takes you to the top of the Alcazaba but it wasn't working when we went last month

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

We took the bus up and walked back down. Saw the sights both ways.

5. Re: Have you walked to Gibralfaro Castle from the cruise port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:21