We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Hello all,

I, and wife, are visiting Malaga in May. I have to be there for a meeting on May 12. This is my first time in Spain and needed some input on planning the trip. I know I can dig the forum and come up with most of the answers, and I have already done some.

I plan on leaving US on May 8, arrive on 9th and then return on 16. I have a choice to arrive in Madrid, rent a car, drive to Granda for one night stay and visit to Alhambra etc, proceed to Malaga on 10th, visit to Seville and possibly other day-trip to reachable spots and finally a return drive via Cordoba for a night's stay at Madrid and out.

Or I can fly into Malaga and rent a car there for travelling around.

Alternatively, I can simply fly into Malaga and check into my hotel from where I can avail daily organized bus tours before returning the same way.

I am a hands-on type and like to control my own itinerary. I wonder if driving, especially parking at intensely traveled tourist spots, is going to be problematic. I have read some stories about the crazy Spanish driving, cops ticketing, towing and charging excessive fines from errant drivers and this scares me into taking the easy way out.

Can anyone dispense valuable advice?.

Accept my thanks in advance.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Unless you have a reason to visit Madrid i would fly in to Malaga. All the places you have mentioned are within 2 hours or so drive of Malaga and the freedom to stay as long as you like. The daytrips tend to leave and be back within 8 to 10 hours which means you have 5 or so hours to do your visit.

Parking is expensive in Malaga, hotels charge 14 to 20€ per 24 hours. The train is an alternative to driving for Cordoba and Seville, even Madrid actually. There are fast AVE trains connecting those cities to Malaga. Granada would need to be done by bus or tour. Do consider overnighting in Seville and Granada. You wont realy see any of the city on a day tour as the Alhambra itself needs 4 hours minimum.

You may find cheaper/easier parking in the towns just outside Malaga, namely Torremolinos, Benalmadena and Fuengirola. All on the local train line for when you need to in to Malaga for your meeting, and yet all close to the motorway to travel further afield.

I am sure you will get further opinion over the next day or so.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,660 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Abu:

I would fly from Madrid to Malaga. Vueling is a good low cost airline.

For Granada I would recommend two days there. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

You can do Cordoba as a day trip from Malaga.

For trains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

You need to stay in Seville because you cannot do it as a day trip from Malaga.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Thank you, mantalk and BennyMalaga,

Your suggestions are helpful in shaping my plans.

I will fly to Malaga direct and arrange trips locally, per your suggestion.

Al

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Direct flights to malaga from the states are very limited. The option to visit and stay in Madrid to me should not be missed, much as I love Malaga I would place it second to madrid.

I perfect trip would be Madrid , hire car, Toledo, Cordoba/ Seville (1 night), to drive to Ronda (4 hr stay), night in granada and next day, and then return to Madrid. Toledo, Cordoba and Ronda can be visited as you drive to your overnight stop. You can adjust your nights stay in Seville and Granada to suit. Road in spain area excellent, with a speed limit in the main of 120km per hour. Even ten yours ago before the improvements malaga to Madrid by car was a 5 hour journey for me.

madrid and places such as Toledo should not be missed, I would rather miss malaga then Madrid, flying into and out of Madrid would always be my choice

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Hello Ian,

Sorry for checking late.

I do like your trip suggestions and would prefer to drive. But, I am told that driving can be somewhat tricky and parking a challenge. Any pointers?

Regards,

Al

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

Hi, I spend six weeks a year in the Province of Cádiz, next door to Málaga Province and I have a car for the whole period. I find it so easy to get about and explore the places I want to see, and just as importantly when I want to see them, the main difference for me being that I always rent a house or apartment which has parking. Remember as a non-European you will require an International Driving Permit to drive in Spain, also cars with automatic transmission are more expensive to hire than those with a clutch (shift stick). I would go along with Benny and Mantalk and say fly direct to Málaga. I have not been in Madrid but I feel the time you have is too short to include Madrid.

Putting the car aside, if you plan to see Málaga, Sevilla and Granada you could easily do this by train and/or bus it is really only getting to the smaller places where public transport becomes an issue. Sevilla to me is a three day event as a minimum. I am working my way around Sevilla day trip by day trip but that is only because I know I will be returning.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,660 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

AbuNajum: In May I dont think you will have any parking issues, we are always out in May and have visited by car all the places I listed in my previous thread in May.

Seville can be an issue but we always stay around the bull ring were plenty of street parking and then make the 10 minute walk into the centre, Toledo last time did incurr a drive round before finding a spot.

For some strange reason, maybe location the bull ring in a place always seems to have plenty of surrounding parking, i.e. Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, Antequera etc.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
522 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

if it were me, as much as I love Madrid, I would skip it for this trip. because the way I read it you are only in Spain for one week. Packing a lot in that one week kind of depends on your stamina. I like the idea of flying into Malaga (last time I checked there were plenty of options changing at Amsterdam but then I fly from Minneapolis so there may be more options for me) and doing day trips from there(Cordoba, Granada). and like Benny suggested, perhaps do a couple of nights in Sevilla. I would also take the train. My opinion is it's so much easier to take a bus or taxi from the train station rather than trying to find your way on unfamiliar highways and then finding your hotel (we had issues getting to our hotel in Malaga when we rented a car....and we said if we had it to do over again, we would not have rented the car). just my two cents. I hope you enjoy Spain!!

10. Re: Visiting Malaga in May 2014- Need valuable input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:19