We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

Hello everyone

I'm travelling to Ronda in August and need to book car hire with Sixt at the airport.

I am utterly confused by the 'deposit' situation so really hope someone can clue me up!

We're booking a mini convertible online and will be pre-paying. I am unclear about the deposit amount I need to have available to be blocked on my credit card and a phone call placed to them didn't help!

I was told that the deposit would be 600 euro if I pay on collection, and 150 euro if I pre pay. She also said this would not be affected by me opting for the super damage waiver insurance. I'm so confused because the website quoted a different amount but in the t & cs it states 'up to 3 times the amount of the rental'!

I don't think its unreasonable to want to know in advance as I don't want to arrive and find out haven't enough available balance to secure a deposit, but equally after a heavy christmas with 4 children I don't want to stress about having to pay off the required amount on my credit card balance within 5 months!

Any advice would be great thank you :-)

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

I thought Sixt included the insurance in the rate quoted, has always been the case when I have used them.

The deposit depends on the car they actually give you. Whilst you book a car, breakdowns or other issues means that it may not be available for you and you will be offered another model.

This may be the reason they wont give you a figure. Often the excess charge is not applied to your card, however, all hirers reserve the right to charge you for damage which they feel is your fault.

A u.k. insurance to cover excess only cost around £30/40 for one year, this will save you a great deal of hire costs, excess insurance is usually 50% of the quote you receive.

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

Thank so much for your reply :-) it doesn't really answer my question though...

Whenever I hire a car I opt for the excess reduction cover (about £10 ish a day) and with avis they don't take a deposit at all, only block the amount of the hire & fuel & damage waiver. This included in Spain and Sardinia. However Sixt aren't overly clear.

I see what you mean about the car being dependant but when pre booking you specifically select the car class (coded) and pay that amount in advance so the car should be available and if an alternative is required they surely ought to honour the original price paid?

The problem is I find it's important to know exactly how much I need available on my card before I go. I think 'up to 3 times' is a bit vague and in this case about £1500 & hire cost & fuel which is extortionate! I don't want to struggle to find £1500 to put on my credit card balance if it's only 150 euros! :-/

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

Last summer I had a BMW1 Series from Sixt at Malaga Airport for almost the whole of July, they blocked somewhere about 550 euro on my credit card as I had my own annual insurance bought in the UK. I found them a very good company to deal with and made use of them again in October of last year. I fully intended to use Sixt this year but they were a good bit more expensive than EuropCar another company at the airport I am quite happy to use.

I had a car from Avis the last weekend in January/beginning of February this year, just for the weekend. They neither blocked my credit card or tried to get me to buy additional insurance as my annual policy is still live.

I always do my bookings through www.doyouspain.com

Saludos. Lindsay

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

I am also confused about the policy of hire car companies ! Who isn't ?

I rented a car from Sixt last month at Seville airport using the broker DoYouSpain and got a very good rate (it's very low season!) and I paid for the rental at the desk the amount of €108.46 for 12 days. I have an annual Insurance policy arranged to refund any claim within the franchise/deductible that the Sixt people have which for my hire car (a Opel Corsa) was €600. So as I had my own insurance and I told them I did not need to buy their expensive insurance they additionally added 100% to my rental charge at the desk and took from my CC a sum of €216.92. I have no idea if this is a standard extra charge whether I buy their own insurance or in my case I hhave one already but I think it is normally charged.

On return I had the extra or double the actual hire charge amount returned and credited on my CC. Now I believe that the extra amount taken at the desk does depend on the type of car so could be more than the cost of the hire charge so cannot be sure. The 3 times rental rings true if you want an expensive motor.

The annual "excess" insurance that I have is with Direct Car Excess Insurance and it was roughly £30 for a year. It would take care of the Loss Damage Waiver and Theft excess so it seemed expensive to buy from Sixt and the guy at the desk seemed disappointed I was not buying it but accepted the fact.

But car rental is always difficult ! .

Edited: 27 February 2014, 14:00
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

I asked the rental guy where Sixt is based and he told me a bit about the company history. I felt happier. This can be found on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixt

6. Re: Sixt Car Hire Malaga Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:22