We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe by Train Made Easy

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
557 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Europe by Train Made Easy

You can now book and pay for your Rail Tickets in Spain and throughout Europe using the following Website. The site is easy to use,you can Print your Tickets at home,its free and it's in English. If you choose the right dates and times the prices are quite reasonable.

https://loco2.com/

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

The prices are the same as on RENFE, and there are no additional charges if you pay by debit card. The biggest advantage is that the site is very easy to use, the print-at-home procedure is simple and their payment systems actually work!

https://loco2.com/spanish-rail

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

Also, it is a fallacy that only UK residents can use the loco2 site:

https:/…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

I think we are seeing the emergence of web sites like LOCO2 which are going to make train ticket buying so much easier. Some in Spain may mistakenly think LOCO means something which it isn't ! I am interested in testing out the site in case it offers an easier means of Spanish train booking. I know many foreign visitors have difficulties with using RENFE which in fairness has improved gradually over recent years and we even now have an APP for buying.

My first concern is will LOCO be able to recognise my Tarjeta Dorada senior card and give me that 40% discount on Media Distancia trains which I enjoy. (These fares are never discounted normally) And secondly will the LOCO web site actually show ALL the permutations for travelling on trains including options for change of trains. Third will it list all the different bits of information that can be found on the RENFE web site mostly in English. And last but not least do the fares match up correctly in practice?

As far as the English translations on the RENFE web is concerned, I am still worried about their skills and especially the matter of just missing a train. What happens? Answers on a postcard please to Head of RENFE IT Department, Madrid

For Spanish it says:

En caso de pérdida de los trenes AVE y Larga Distancia, por causas no imputables a Renfe, y para aquellos clientes que se presenten con un límite máximo de 30 minutos (a contar desde la hora prevista de la salida del tren), en la estación de origen del viaje, se les ofrecerá la posibilidad de viajar en el siguiente tren con plazas libres en las condiciones que Renfe determine. Sin coste para el cliente siempre y cuando viaje en idéntica o inferior clase que la del billete original.

For English version it says:

In case of Ave or Larga Distancia trains that are missed for causes not attributable to Renfe, those customers who have arrived at the departure station at least 30 minutes before the scheduled train departure time will be given the option to travel on the next train with available seats, under the terms and conditions specified by Renfe. This will be at no extra cost to customers, as long they travel in the same – or a lower – class as that of the original ticket.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

The fares on Loco2 are discounted the same as RENFE, yes.

If you want to see all permutations including changes then Deutsche Bahn is the only reliable source.

Now that the market for selling tickets has been deregulated the RENFE site is going to have to get its act together or just get frozen out - not before time.

At least now people have yet another option without having to plough through long articles when all they want to do is buy a train ticket. Keep it simple!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

Thanks Nigel,

I still swear by www.seat61.com, the man in seat 61 really knows his stuff and runs a fantastic website, it will be well complemented be Loco2.

Joxxer

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

cadiz-lover: tried to do a booking on this site, it asks you to enter railcards but does not recognise a tarjeta dorada, think I will stick to the RENFE site. As you say for us oldies the discount important.

Truthfully never had an issue with the Renfe site for years. Are these changes the reason why I get offers from Renfe now?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

They certainly are Ian, I keep on getting offers from RENFE now!

I've never had any problems using the RENFE site either, but its payment systems have problems processing North American cards - hence all the fuss. People using cards issued under the European system are fine.

Here's to a new era of simple rather than over-complicated purchasing options!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

Ian ...the bookings that I have done in Spain or UK for RENFE Spanish trains using their web site have always been successful and so I too will continue to use RENFE. I have bagged many bargain fares and it is also good to read up about all the different terms and conditions.. Originally in the dim and distant past I consulted the excellent guides on Trip Advisor for help but now I became used to the process I just do it. I too will continue to use RENFE especially since now you confirm that Tarjeta Dorada cards are not recognised on LOCO. I think on the Forums you do not hear so much from folks who have successfully bought rail tickets using RENFE and mostly those with problems will seek help. The RENFE web is also useful for answering many queries about using the trains and showing information as in my previous message !

Edited: 01 March 2014, 18:23
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

In case of a problem happier holding a ticket issued by the train operator, reminds me must renew my tarjeta Dorada this month. Find Seat.61 okay if your crossing country boundries, but for spain only travel, Renfe every time.

Five years ago Renfe ticket staff had not a clue when you presented your on line tickets, used to get a shrug of the shoulders and a wave to get on the train. Checking on the train got the same response.

Have to say never had people sat in our booked seats, whereas in the u.k. people sat in every journey.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe by Train Made Easy

It was never easyer than when they had the Euro rail-pass like they once did, so easy. Hop- on hop- off. Did it twice in the early 80s. What a way to spend 30 plus days.

I also sometimes fine it tough to using the web sites, but l blame my LACK of computer skills.

I see most people do better than l do. Hubie

Edited: 01 March 2014, 20:23