We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Malaga airport

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Malaga airport

Forgive me if I am covering old ground but having read several threads I am totally confused!

I am arriving at Malaga with my 14 year old daughter about 8pm in May. I ideally want to pick a car up from the airport and understand there are some horrendous fuel policies!

All I want to do is hire a car for 5 days, pay for the fuel I use and return it back to the airport. I ideally don't want to queue for 2 hours! I understand everyone has good and bad experiences but I just want to pay a fair price for what I've used and make it as hassle free as possible!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

I'd say go for Helle Hollis, although not the cheapest, they do offer a full/full policy or will refund to the nearest 1/4 tank. They are off the airport but have a shuttle bus that picks you up and you can text them from baggage claim hall and they will be waiting for you. Alinbenalmadena and Mantalk offer their discount codes to get you 15% discount from Helle Hollis - H6486 or H4589. They will ask you if you want to buy their excess insurance to cover tyres, aerials, windscreens etc, and if you don't want to they will take a deposit from your credit card which will be refunded on return of the car. They were brilliant last year when we used them and their customer service is brilliant, no hard sell on the excess insurance (we had our own so didn't need it) but very helpful and there were no queues!

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

I agree with CJB, they are reliable and totally hassle free. You will need an excess insurance as post 1 but you can buy it far more cheaply if you get your own in the UK. I have an annual one, but for 5 days try this site - it looks very reasonable:

travelsupermarket.com/c/…

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

Ainbenalmedina: I am very interested in the car hire excess insurance that is mentioned in the above post. Do you know if it is available to citizens of the U.S. who rent cars in Spain? The rate they quote for our 8 days is really good.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

Sorry mimi, I have no idea about the US. The UK companies will insure worldwide so there could well be companies in the US that do as well. I suggest you try a google search for Car Hire Excess Insurance and see what comes up.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

I have a Helle Hollis car just now. 20 mins after landing we were driving away in a nearly new Corsa, 70€ for fuel! which will be refunded in full when I return the car. Excellent service. Shuttle bus waiting on our arrival.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

What is wrong with malagacarhire ?cheap as far as im concerned Has anyone had any bad reports about them?

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

Derek, malagacarhire are brokers and they use Niza cars. I've used them many times and have never had a problem, although some people have gone straight to Niza and have had problems. If you go through malagacarhire, Niza petrol policy is full/full, but if you go through Niza it's full/empty.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

Cheers for the report.I am still pondering on carhire and not sure on petrol charges .Anybody give me some good information???

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

You need to check on the fuel policy whether its full/full or full/empty or whatever. Read the terms and conditions carefully and you will know exactly what to expect when you turn up at the desk. Even the most complained about company (Goldcar) now have a flexi fuel policy and will refund for unused fuel (although they add an admin charge I believe). Some brokers, like Do You Spain give you a filter so that you can choose which fuel policy and what companies you don't want quote from. We hired with Helle Hollis last year and it was full/full and great customer service too.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire Malaga airport

DoYouSpain.com let you search by full/full, so you can easily filter out all of the companies who have the horrendous fuel surcharges.