We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

Bath, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

Hiya,

We're looking to visit Malaga in Spain this coming August/September for our 5th Anniversary and was wondering out of all the other places to go in Spain whether we have picked the right location. We are looking for a place where it's relatively tourist-friendly, not too far from the beach(es) and plenty to see over 4-5 days. I know I would definitely like to visit Rhonda, Seville and Marbella. Anywhere else in that area that's worth visiting? And how's public transport? Anything we need to be aware of, like massive spiders and mosquitoes?

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

Much will depend on the convenience of your flight from home airport to Malaga. The city itself has many places to stay and does have a beach for relaxation.

see this old thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187438-i333-k61…

The railway station and bus station at Malaga Maria Zambrano have connections to Ronda , Seville. and Marbella.

August and beginning September will be very popular for the beach.

Also very tourist friendly.

Bath, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

Thank you for your reply.

We'll be flying from Bristol to Malaga which is more convenient as we live in Bath.

Would you recommend booking transport in advance, for example if we were to travel by coach/train in the UK we would book in advance.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

The booking in advance question is discussed ad nauseum. My personal approach to this is nearer the day when you wish to make side trips to say Seville from Malaga you could investigate what times are best and which mode of transport and go for a booking if you are happy that the date and times are best. Many people prefer the MD (Media Distancia) train which is slower (2 hrs 30 mins each way) but cheaper at under €40 return. There is also an AVANT train on this route. Just under 2 hours. Or bus 2hrs 45 mins. . there are no advance discounts available unlike other AVE or long distance trains in Spain.

You can buy a return ticket to save money. If you use the MD train leaving early at 07.40 and returning to Malaga by 22.36 you can have over 9 hours sightseeing in Seville.

Another point about the MD train. You can alight at the station before the main one at Seville called San Bernardo. When you come up to street level there is a tram link into the centre of the city. Or if you are happy to walk you can go directly to Plaza de Espana. Look at Google Maps for this?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

All the places you want to see are lovely. In August, be aware of the heat in inland locations like Seville. Ronda is higher in the mountains and Marbella and Malaga benefit from being on the coast.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

I visited Malaga the last week of February and into March of this year. The city is a very tourist friendly destination, especially in the El Centro district where it seemed 3/4 of hotel and restaurant staff were at least conversant in English.

Although you will have the Playa de Malagueta, which has a "promenade", for lack of a better word, that is great for morning walks, to keep you occupied in August, there are many other attractions to keep you occupied as well. The Carmen Thyssen Museum had an excellent exhibition on during my visit. Of course, there are the Picasso landmarks as well. And standing on the stage of a 2,200 year old Roman amphitheater is an interesting diversion as you try to recall Aristophanes and Euripes. And the climb to visit the Alcazaba palace and Gibralfaro fortress are worth the architecture alone, but the sweeping vistas in every direction are magnificent. Heck, I even found the porcelain and glass museum was fascinating!

And the food is amazing in Malaga! Seafood, tapas, empanadas, chorizos, Ibericos....I had fantastic gastronomic delights every day. And while El Pimpi deserves its reputation and is a must visit, I would also suggest you visit the La Malagueta neighborhood and stop by La Mensula. I ate dinner their my first night there and wound up dining there two additional times. Which is high praise considering all the other excellent choices available to visitors in the El Centro district alone.

And I really found the residents very friendly, vocal, passionate and quiet tolerant of my poor Spanish language skills. As an example, after a late dinner each night I would usually stop by The Irish Times for a pint of Guinness since it was very close to my hotel. By the end of my visit I knew well over a half-dozen locals on a first name basis who loved railing on about Spanish politics while practicing their English and giggling over my pronunciation of Spanish.

Truthfully, I don't think 4-5 days won't come close to exhausting the list of things to do in Malaga itself, let alone taking trips elsewhere.

Anyway, enjoy your trip! It is a nice destination.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

pk:

We have no mosquitoes or big spiders!

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine (320 days of sunshine a year), and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them the Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. The city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Shopping is wonderful and most stores are walkable from downtown. Downtown has Calle Larios, Calle Nueva, and Calle Granada and surrounding streets, with many boutiques. El Corte Ingles is a large department store near downtown. Two shopping malls near downtown are the Larios Center and Vialia.

Good hotels in good locations:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – Good location near Calle Larios. The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – Good location near Calle Larios with parking. The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

4-star: Hotel NH Malaga – Good hotel with a large parking space.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro – Good hotel near Calle Larios.

2-star: Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

<<We have no mosquitoes or big spiders!>>

I am afraid that Mosquitos find me everywhere over here Benny - including Malaga. If you are prone to being bitten pk_banana I would recommend you use a good insect repellent spray during the day and a plug in at night.

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
959 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

defo good choice see my review of my visit, its a brilliant base

9. Re: Good idea to visit Spain Malaga?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16