We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

In some places, you get the hire car empty and return it empty - something I'm not a fan of. Is this the case in Malaga? Are there any highly recommended firms to use or avoid for a one week rental?

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
kirkham
Level Contributor
274 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

I used helle hollis car hire great service and you pick up the car full and you can fill up and take back full.

Read my comments I put on trip advisor 8th April

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

There are companies that do full/full but you need to do a search for them. Many people use www.doyouspain.com to do their search. It is a good site as you can choose full/full etc and can also take off any car hire companies you don't want to get quotes from. I suggest that you do not use Goldcar or Firefly, there are too many complaints about them. There two companies who come out consistently best are www.malagacar.com and www.hellehollis.com Malagacar are often slightly cheaper but are a very reliable company. If you do a search on helle hollis, enter the code H6486 for another 15% discount on the quote. You need to do some homework though as it can be a minefield.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,895 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Agree with everything that Alinbenalmadena and mwareing say, would also advise against using Marbesol. Read some of the car hire threads on TA for more advice.

Mentioned in this post
Marbesol
Marbesol
277 Reviews
Province of Malaga, Spain
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Would agree with using Helle Hollis (and Malaga car), although you may feel you're paying slightly more, for excellent customer service and peace of mind I'd rather pay a little more for that.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Thank you everyone. I read several reviews saying avoid Autos del paso and, yes, I'd rather pay a few quid more and not get fleeced so I'll go with the two recommended firms.

I have an 18 month old daughter coming along so I need a good hire company to get a reliable car and child seat. Thanks all!!

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Both the recommended companies are off airport but don't let that put you off. It takes a couple of minutes to get to the shuttle bus (just round the corner from the exit) and a couple of minutes drive. It's usually quicker than the on airport hire companies ;-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Alinbenalmadena : "You need to do some homework though as it can be a minefield."

Care to elaborate on that please? I'm booked with Helle Hollis.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,852 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

I dont think you will have any issues with HH Aeromotive. Their T&C`s are very straightforward and Fuel policy very fair, refunding for unused fuel. Make sure you refuel before drop off though. My recent hire with HH i was charged 98€ for the initial tank of fuel, it cost 72€ to refill from touching empty HH refunded my 98€ to my card whilst at the return desk.

There is a 10€ discount voucher on TA i will add a link to it later. Every little helps lol.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,852 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

https://s5.newzapp.co.uk/t/gtp_pg.aspx…

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire in Malaga; full or empty tank of fuel?

Sorry Aeromotive, I meant it is a minefield if you were to use some of the brokers! HH is not a broker.