We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

Hola Benny & Mac: I thought I had to wait until 62 days in advance to buy Ave tickets from Barcelona to Malaga for end of September, but they are actually showing availability now. I need tickets for 4 seniors and we would like Mesa prices (with the table). I want to know if that's for real and if I can seriously order the tickets this far in advance. It is showing full availability at all prices for 26 Sept. 8:30 a.m. Ave to Malaga. Should I call my Card company and then go for it?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,090 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

The 62-day thing was abolished over a year ago in the changes that happened in February 2013. If you see a train at a time that is suitable for you at a price that suits you then book it.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

If it suits purchase, but very surprised all the day's schedules are published. Compare with an imminent date.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,090 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

RENFE were told by the Spanish Government that they had to publish the full summer schedules to comply with the deregulation rules.

Every other country in Europe has managed this for decades, it really shouldn't be beyond RENFE, especially if they wish to keep their monopoly.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,720 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

I think the major problem with the way RENFE roll out fares and train times is the haphazard manner by which it is done ! In other words, you may find trains listed on certain routes way in advance but are you sure that this comprises a complete list of trains for that period/day or is it just the beginning of the roll out. You could look at a day ahead say about 65 days ahead and only see one or a few trains ! But if you look at the RENFE site around 62 days ahead all rains should be listed giving you a full selection.

For example I look now at Madrid to Malaga for the 15th June and only one train is listed.

Now for the previous week 8th June there are 11 trains listed. (so far!)

So looking at a timetable more than say 62 days ahead is going to be a gamble if you do not know how RENFE work. You may be shocked to discover that if you had waited until 62 days away the choice and fares could be more attractive.

In the case of Barcelona to Malaga, my intuition says that this twice daily service is planned to continue well after 62 days from today - in fact probably for ever !! So RENFE people just find it convenient to post the trains on line now.becasue there is certainty that the 2 trains will be running.

Whether it is wise to pay your money and actually buy tickets so far ahead is frankly a decision only the traveler can make but if the fare is listed then it should be possible to make a purchase.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,189 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

mimiccr:

You should go for it. From my observation a partial schedule is shown now but the full schedule is shown 62 days before the trip date.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are very definite in our plans and want only the Ave trains and at the particular times posted as now available, so I will purchase at this time. We are 4 seniors and want the Mesa fares, and they will probably disappear first. I'll let you know how the process goes.

7. Re: Renfe Ave tickets show availability now for September??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16