We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Extended In Port Time - Malaga

I will be in Malaga in October via a HA cruise. We are in port from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm, an extended period, presumably so that folks can take the longer day trips to Cordoba or Granada. If one does not take a day trip, is there enough to see in Malaga to use up the majority of the port time and not feel like you were just sitting around killing time ? How easy is it to return to the ship during the day and then get back off again for dinner or an evening stroll in the city?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Malaga has plenty to do to fill the whole tme you aare in port. From beaches to cultural sightseeing. You would also have time to do a side trip to some of the smaller white towns around, Mijas and Ronda could be reached easily by local bus or train transport. There is a shuttle running whilst ships are in port to take you the short journey from port entrance (which is only a short stroll to the city centre) to ship and back. Check out the "top Questions" list to the right of this page.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Malaga has plenty for one day. The port is in the center of the city very easy to walk to the main area where the main streets, cathedral and museums are. Also very close to the port you have a local train station where you can catch a train that connect to the main train station in just 2 minutes if you wanted to go to Seville or Cordoba or keep on the local train as far as Fuengirola about 45 minutes and they run every 20 minutes. At Fuengirola the train station is just next to the bus station so you can catch a bus or taxi up to Mijas a little white village in the hills.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

There is plenty to do for a day in the city. Food & drink options abound. I'd also recommend contacting Victor at WeloveMalaga tours - lots of reviews on TA. Victor is a wonderful guide and will help you get under the skin of this interesting location in a walking tour.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Indeed, in fact you don't even need to go to the expense of paying for a guide when there are excellent apps and guidebooks for DIY walks around central Malaga:

http://www.guide-to-malaga.co.uk/

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Thank you for the responses. Also, if we go further afoot, like Granada, will there be any time to do things in Malaga as well. We are in port from 8-11.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Granada is one hour and a half each way, which easily becomes two hours once in the city. If you plan to go there, I assume you will be using an organized tour, which will be surely arranged so that you can spend the good part of the day in Granada.

If you rush from one place to the other (and really visiting the Alhambra in a rush is just what this monument is not about), I guess you would still have one hour or two to kill in Málaga, but what's the point?

Decide between Granada and Malaga, and enjoy a relaxed visit to any of these cities. I would choose Málaga since there is plenty to do and see and you will already be here, saving you a four hours car drive, but of course is entirely up to you and Granada is lovely indeed.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 08:38
Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Gracias MACPolo. that is what we were thinking too. will save Granada for another day.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

MACPolo ... gracias for all your posts. Very helpful. Given that we are in port until 11, we would like to enjoy a memorable dining experience in Malaga .... what do you think El Refrectorium o La Reserva del Pastor ?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Both restaurants serve great local food, but El Refectorium is probably a step higher.

I presume you mean El Refectorium Catedral. There are three restaurants which belong to the same owner in Málaga with that name. The most charming is the one located on Cerrado de Calderón but that's very far from the port and I wouldn't advise you to have dinner there given your embarkation time.

Another option if you want haute cuisine would be José Carlos García, at Muello Uno and hence on your way to the boat. Great views and food but steep prices.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extended In Port Time - Malaga

Gracias MACPolo... I was referring to Refectorium del Campanario (Paseo de la sierra, 36). You wrote about it in your restaurant recommendations 2014 and in some other posts. I see that they aren't open until 20:30 for dinner. Probably will be cutting it close to return to the boat by 22:00-ish. I see that they are open until 17:30 for lunch. Perhaps I can go around 17:00, enjoy the view and stay until 19-19:30. Do you know if they allow orders to go in that late ? I will check out Jose Carlos Garcia. We are looking for something that serves meat dishes as well, since my wife isn't a big seafood fan.